pls help!

kimice

In the Brooder
8 Years
Apr 30, 2011
I bought two chicks for easter. One of them is a barred rock chick. She has been fine since I had her, but today when I took her out to put her in her pen I noticed that she had her head cockeyed! She bends her neck all the way to the side almost like she is looking up with one eye. It is really weird and I don't know what's going on or what to do for her. It is really hard to explain, but I know it is not how she normally has been acting.

I would suspect "wry neck". Get some Poly visol infant vitamins without iron and give her a couple drops. And again the next day. I bet you see improvement. This is my experience anyway.

i went to my local TSC and found a product called sav-a-chick electrolyte and vitamin supplement. I tried to give him as much as I could with a dropper, but it seems as if she is getting worse already. Now she holds her head almost completely upside down when i try to pick her up and stumbles around walking backwards almost. What an absolutley horrible thing to have to watch. I feel so bad for her and there's nothing more I can really do for her. I got these chicks for pets but now after this gut wrenching episode I am second guessing my decision of keeping back yard chickens.

Chickens are too wonderful to have to not keep with it
smile.png
It does sound like Wry Neck and while it is very disturbing to watch it is usually very easy to fix. Wry Neck is caused by a Vitamin E deficiency. It can be treated by giving them Vitamin E and Selenium. It's very important to help her eat and drink until she can pick her head up and do it on her own. A good friend of mine gives her the contents of Vitamin E capsules which has cured hers within just a few days. You can feed her foods high in E content which will also help her. Here's a link to another thread about how to treat it: https://www.backyardchickens.com/forum/viewtopic.php?id=8086. Hope she gets better soon!

I will keep trying, but I don't know if she is going to make it. Right now she has herself backed into a corner with her head completely upside down and hardly able to move around at all. I only have one other chick. I am afraid that she is going to step on her or peck at her or something, but when I try to separate them they both start chirping hysterically! What should I do? Separate them or keep them together?

Im so sorry for what you are experiencing. Thanks god we have such experienced people on here to help you, me and anyone else who needs it.
Great forum ! Thanks all !

The other chick is huddled up next to her almost sitting on the other chicks head. I am a little afraid she might smother her.

Back
Top Bottom