Plucked feathers all over back and neck

Sduff22

In the Brooder
Jul 16, 2018
Any advice with our chickens? We have 6 total and 3 of them have neck and back feathers that are being pulled out. We thought the initial culprit was a broody hen but all hens are laying eggs again now. The other three chickens do not have this issue at all. The three effected are: black copper maran, Amercauna and a cream created legbar. It started with just the copper maran but now it is all three. This has been happening for a couple months now. How do we resolve this issue?

The hens have plenty of space in both the coop and have a large run. Thanks in advance for the advice!

Attachments

• IMG_1717.JPG
    IMG_1717.JPG
    142.3 KB · Views: 15
  • IMG_1718.JPG
    IMG_1718.JPG
    140.9 KB · Views: 8
  • IMG_1719.JPG
    IMG_1719.JPG
    133.9 KB · Views: 8
Poor things. I have never had feather picking around the neck and all over like that. Hopefully someone will have some advice. Just off the top of my head are some questions to think about-Do they eat ok? Are they on a good diet with enough protein? Have you actually seen them picking each other? Do you have roosters? Do they have access to water 24/7?

Posted at same time the OP indicated no rooster.

What is the percentage of protein in the feed you are giving?

It really does look like rooster damage. :hmm

Do you have an overly dominant female that is mounting the other hens?

No roosters - live inside city limits. They have access to water 24/7, and have a good diet. Could try adding more protein in if that could help. I feel so bad for them :(

What feed are you using? I would increase them to a flock raiser ration for awhile. Look for lice and mites on skin under the vents and elsewhere. Sometimes it takes until after the next big yearly molt for feathers to grow back. They might benefit from some free ranging in the late afternoon to ease any boredom. Are they close to molting, or have any started? You would see feathers around the coop. Pine tar or Nustock cream which may be found in horse supplies in feed stores, can be put on the bare spots to help prevent pecking feathers.

No roosters - live inside city limits. They have access to water 24/7, and have a good diet. Could try adding more protein in if that could help. I feel so bad for them :(
That doesn't mean someones rooster didn't hear em and break in , or one of the others is an alpha hen that thinks she's a rooster, I have had that rarity in my flock she would try to mount the other hens, if you can't watch how they interact all day maybe a game cam or something to see what is going on with them when your not there watchign

What feed are you using? I would increase them to a flock raiser ration for awhile. Look for lice and mites on skin under the vents and elsewhere. Sometimes it takes until after the next big yearly molt for feathers to grow back. They might benefit from some free ranging in the late afternoon to ease any boredom. Are they close to molting, or have any started? You would see feathers around the coop. Pine tar or Nustock cream which may be found in horse supplies in feed stores, can be put on the bare spots to help prevent pecking feathers.

We will continue with the free ranging and try switching up their feed and the pine tar/cream. They are starting to molt. Thanks for the advice!

That doesn't mean someones rooster didn't hear em and break in , or one of the others is an alpha hen that thinks she's a rooster, I have had that rarity in my flock she would try to mount the other hens, if you can't watch how they interact all day maybe a game cam or something to see what is going on with them when your not there watchign
Not possible for a rooster to break in. Our coop and run has been tightly secured after a raccoon opened our gate and killed two of our flock.

Back
Top Bottom