Plucking out feathers - Help!

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by QuailCreekFarm, Apr 26, 2008.

1. QuailCreekFarm

QuailCreekFarm Out Of The Brooder

Jul 5, 2007
    Gaston, OR
    I would appreciate your help. We have a Buff Orp and two SL Wyandottes plucking out their feathers on their backs at the base of their tails.

I have tried Rooster Booster Pick No More, I've dusted for mites, put down DE, given them kitty kibble, Poultry Booster, free range time several afternoons a week, and they STILL pluck their feathers!

They seem happy otherwise and lay eggs for us everyday. Our flock includes another Buff Orp that doesn't pluck out her feathers and a Buff Orp rooster.

Any ideas? The only thing I haven't tried yet is duct tape that I've read about on this forum. Maybe I should go to the hardware store???

2. love-my-wolves

love-my-wolves Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 14, 2008
    Front Royal, VA
    I've heard some say a "saddle". I would do a search on it, as I think you can make/buy them. Good luck! Steph

3. Farmer Kitty

Farmer Kitty Flock Mistress

Sep 18, 2007
    Wisconsin
    Saddles will cover the area just above the tail and keep them from pulling there and hopefully they won't pull from elsewhere. Are you feeding Black Oil Sunflower Seed? It has 30% protein and the Methione they need for feather growth.

For saddle patterns, follow the link in my sig. There is sew and no sew pattern.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by