Plucking problems.

remadl700

Songster
10 Years
Nov 18, 2009
oregon
We processed 2 birds this weekend, one pullet and a Cornish x that was 5 months old. The pullet plucked great but the Cornish had these long super fine "Hair/Feathers" that no matter how many times I dipped her in the water they would not come off with the drill plucker. I had to resort to a torch to burn them. I haven't plucked a lot of chickens and wanted to know what I might be doing wrong.

Water temp was 145-160 degrees.

Was it do to the age?
Would I not run into these type of feathers if we did them younger?

Yes, age, and yes, you avoid the hairs by slaughtering earlier. The hairs seem to appear sometime around 16 weeks (although it varies with breed).

Singeing the carcass was a very common way of finishing up a chicken back in the day.

What was the speed of your drill motor, perhaps a faster drill would do these "Older" birds. I have been in email contact with a fellow Plucker in Nicaragua who plucks Muscovies with a 2600 rpm drill motor, which I thought would be quite fast but it worked for him!! I have a speed control installed in my extension cord, allowing me to reduce the speed when I do birds with very thin skin, Thank You, ROD

Quote:
I don't know the exact speed but I tried going fast and it didn't seem to work. Here is a pic of my low tech "Clucker Plucker"
44705_img00049-20100809-2145.jpg
ya.gif

Back
Top Bottom