Plugging in a heated waterer

RoseCassFarm

In the Brooder
6 Years
Mar 23, 2013
Connecticut
I'm sure this has been asked a million times but I can't figure out what to search for specifically, lol.

I bought a waterer with a heated base and plug (with a cord attached). Any tips for plugging it in? It didn't dawn on me until just now (with the temp finally dropping) that I can't plug it in without leaving a gap in the "people" door where I feed the cord out to plug it into the extension cord. This is my first winter with my girls outside. I've been trying to winter-proof things but its been slow going (my own fault since I really didn't start until November was under way, but I'm going to plead Mommy-brain and use my five and one year olds as my excuse, lol; it's been busy around here!) My theory is that I can just plug it in each morning and unplug it at night so that the gap isn't effecting them at night, but is that really okay? I don't want there to be a draft in the coop during the day.

Originally, I thought that I was going to have to drill a huge hole into the side of the coop to put the plug through, but when I finally plugged it in by putting it out the back door, I realized that the cord is a lot smaller in diameter than I'd expected -- would cutting a tiny notch out of the corner of the door work? How would I seal around the notch when the waterer was unplugged?

I'm trying to read up on every possible tip that I can, so I'd appreciate any ideas you may have!

I'm sure a notch will work as will leaving it plugged in just during the day.

Are you worried about cold air transpiring through the notch? If that's the case, how do you get ventilation into the coop?

I have outlet boxes in each coop, drill a hole in a convenient place sheltered from weather like under the nest boxes.
I have a roll of 12/2 w/ground cord wire. Cut a length and wire up the duplex receptacle in the coop, run the other end through the hole and install a plug outside the coop. Then I can run the extension cord to the coop and 'plug in the coop.'

A notch cut the diameter of the wire should work well and the draft it lets in would be minimal. Is your people door facing south or east? If so, that's even better since those winter winds blow in from the north and west. I have a cord spot notched in the bottom of my door and it works very well.

One approach that I've used is to use a spade bit or a hole saw to drill a 1-1/4 inch hole in the door panel, and to then staple a piece of rubber from a gasket repair kit over the hole. Cutting a slit in the part of the rubber that goes over the hole then gives something that allows the plug end to pass through. the rubber then seals (mostly) around the cord that passes through it. You can get a gasket repair kit in the plumbing sections of most hardware stores. The rubber is less flexible in cold weather, so there will be a small gap but it shouldn't be enough to cause any significant drafts.

Go to home depot and buy a thermo cube and leave the waterer plugged in, it will only turn on when it is below 35 degrees, no need to go out and plug and unplug every day. I would cut a small notch I the bottom corner of the door.

Back
Top Bottom