Plymouth Rock thread!

Not directing all that towards wynette and scott but there are folks that just don't know these things (egg size)/ or pullet egg issues or where they are good to go yet or not is where I'm headed if I got anybody off track sorry I stay off more than on mostly. LOL

Jeff
good discussion - sorry if I sounded offended, I definitely wasn't.
smile.png
I just enjoy good discussion!! It's how we learn & move forward.

Do you see the brassiness in this one?
Yes, I do. It's not extensive, though. I think one of the males I held back has about this amount. I had two that had quite a bit more, but I guess "choose your battles" - a small amount, in an otherwise very nice male - would not deter me. There are so many issues that need fixing in the silver penciled variety...

I really need to get weights & look them over much more closely & get some good pics. Need to get my light box out & get moving on some pictures to be sure.

good discussion - sorry if I sounded offended, I definitely wasn't.
smile.png
I just enjoy good discussion!! It's how we learn & move forward.

Oh no no. I was just making sure that I was not trying too or if I was offending anyone it was not intentionally
smile.png
I some times have a knack of doing so without meaning too LOL sometimes I do mean to though(one of those fine line line things) LOL yes we all learn together I do anyway. I wished I could type better I know my sentence structure and content could be so much more improved. I have to think too hard to get my fingers to do it that my subject thought can get a little disrupted or unclear. I can spell good I can't find the keys good.
hmm.png
LOL

Jeff

What difference do you think it will make? If the pullets are already hatched - how would them being hatched from pullet eggs negatively impact them going forward. 

Real question. I'd like to know your thought process :)

Pullet eggs are small and from smaller eggs you get smaller chicks and from smaller chicks you get smaller birds to use in the breeding pens. This is the advice I have received from very knowledgeable poultry breeders like Bob Blosl & Bob Hawes and I will use this advice in my breeding plans. :)

Pullet eggs are small and from smaller eggs you get smaller chicks and from smaller chicks you get smaller birds to use in the breeding pens. This is the advice I have received from very knowledgeable poultry breeders like Bob Blosl & Bob Hawes and I will use this advice in my breeding plans.
smile.png
The eggs you have now are to size.

Once they are to size, they will be fine to use. If you wait until they are hens, you are going to skip spring altogether?

It takes a while for some hens to get their eggs to the good size to hatch. I have hatched from pullet eggs before, and have all had normal sized girls once they grew out, but I wasn't aiming for anything special. They were just Easter Eggers.. they got as big as an Easter Egger gets.

Wynette, is that a Naked Neck in your avatar?

The eggs you have now are to size. 

Once they are to size, they will be fine to use. If you wait until they are hens, you are going to skip spring altogether?

It takes a while for some hens to get their eggs to the good size to hatch. I have hatched from pullet eggs before, and have all had normal sized girls once they grew out, but I wasn't aiming for anything special. They were just Easter Eggers.. they got as big as an Easter Egger gets.

Wynette, is that a Naked Neck in your avatar? 

Well it is just a personal preferences for me "with the advice I have received" to just use eggs from hens that are at least 1 year of age for hatching chicks to use in my Silver Penciled Plymouth Rock breeding pens. Only time will tell if this breeding process will pay off but it is the process I will use to move forward with. I will not do any hatching this Spring as I plan to do most if not all my hatching in late November to December each year so they can have all year to grow out for the following Fall Poultry Shows. :)

I am not a long time breeder..... I do wait (usually) till eggs are normal size. I hatch pullet eggs all the time and have never really seen issues. Like was stated, my birds are all normal size when grown so no issues there. the smallest pullet eggs do tend to have leg issues but that is all I have seen and I don't hatch the little bitty ones. I have seen more issues with BIG eggs. I have WL and some of those eggs are just HUGE so big you can't close an egg carton on them. They don't hatch when they get that big..... I have more fertility issues with older hens.... right at 2 years old. Pullets eggs are very robust at my farm and hatch weekly.

I only hatched about 3-4000 chicks last year.....maybe more not sure. I sold lots of chicks for orders.

I have heard the logic from long time breeders but if I waited till all my birds where a year or 2 old before I started hatching I would NOT be in chickens anymore.

I am not a long time breeder..... I do wait (usually) till eggs are normal size. I hatch pullet eggs all the time and have never really seen issues. Like was stated, my birds are all normal size when grown so no issues there. the smallest pullet eggs do tend to have leg issues but that is all I have seen and I don't hatch the little bitty ones. I have seen more issues with BIG eggs. I have WL and some of those eggs are just HUGE so big you can't close an egg carton on them. They don't hatch when they get that big..... I have more fertility issues with older hens.... right at 2 years old. Pullets eggs are very robust at my farm and hatch weekly.

I only hatched about 3-4000 chicks last year.....maybe more not sure. I sold lots of chicks for orders.

I have heard the logic from long time breeders but if I waited till all my birds where a year or 2 old before I started hatching I would NOT be in chickens anymore.
Donna....how do you advertise your chicks for sale? I might want to try that this season

Thanks

Back
Top Bottom