Plymouth Rock thread!

So recently becoming a new member to BYC, I have read and read a lot of information from many chicken owners. I would like to ask for everyone's opinion in regards to raising Plymouth rocks. Are they decent layers? As we are only a family of three an live in city limits we are just looking for layers/ pets. Thank you

Heritage Plymouth Rocks are decent layers. Hatchery Rocks are fantastic layers. If your looking for a few pullets for pets and want a good supply of eggs for breakfast then Plymouth Rocks are a good choice. Friendly, inquisitive birds regardless where they came from.

I had some extra time today, so I decided I was going to record the weights on my LF white rocks. I got everything set up and grabbed some of the white rocks. It said everything was 10 pounds! I am sure my 4 month old cockerel does not weigh as much as my 13 month old rooster, and that my hens and pullets weigh the same as my cockerel and rooster. Now I have some unhappy chickens (they did not enjoy being put in a bucket) and still no weights. And next time I need to use a bigger bucket (it was too small).

I had some extra time today, so I decided I was going to record the weights on my LF white rocks. I got everything set up and grabbed some of the white rocks. It said everything was 10 pounds! I am sure my 4 month old cockerel does not weigh as much as my 13 month old rooster, and that my hens and pullets weigh the same as my cockerel and rooster. Now I have some unhappy chickens (they did not enjoy being put in a bucket) and still no weights. And next time I need to use a bigger bucket (it was too small).
Is it a digital scale?? If so, perhaps it has a max weight of 10lbs and/or needs batteries....just a thought

Is it a digital scale?? If so, perhaps it has a max weight of 10lbs and/or needs batteries....just a thought
No it is a hanging scale. Kind of like the ones they have inproduce sections in grocery stores, minus the tray. It is suppose to weigh up to 320 lbs. I might end up just getting another scale, probably a fish scale and hang a bucket from it. Unless I can figure out why this one isn't working right. It is brand new, the first time it has ever been taken out of the box.

Last edited:
Thank y

Heritage Plymouth Rocks are decent layers. Hatchery Rocks are fantastic layers. If your looking for a few pullets for pets and want a good supply of eggs for breakfast then Plymouth Rocks are a good choice. Friendly, inquisitive birds regardless where they came from.
Thank you. They are such a beautiful breed as well.

OK..... I think I am going to get this Cockerel back..... he was sold as a chick to a local and he is willing to let me have him back (for a pullet LOL)

I don't see anything GLARING wrong with him for my breeding. If you see something let me know. Scott, Fred I am still looking for another roo. I need some new blood.

He hatched in Late Summer so he is not very old.... but is already courting the girls.... that is what I need an interested rooster.....

OK..... I think I am going to get this Cockerel back..... he was sold as a chick to a local and he is willing to let me have him back (for a pullet LOL)

I don't see anything GLARING wrong with him for my breeding. If you see something let me know. Scott, Fred I am still looking for another roo. I need some new blood.

He hatched in Late Summer so he is not very old.... but is already courting the girls.... that is what I need an interested rooster.....
Donna

I'm still asking around. Why do you think you need "new blood"? Is there an underlying issue?

Back
Top Bottom