Plymouth Rock thread!

A couple pictures I look over and study often in hopes of achieving my Silver Penciled Plymouth Rock breeding goals.

IMG_20140122_203405_zpse9d4c9ac.jpg

IMG_20140122_203428-1_zpsab1c6360.jpg

IMG_20140122_203818_zps276d7a46.jpg

Clayton Grace "Silver Rock"

I tried Scott's black roo with leakage and still no fertile eggs from the Black Rock Pen. I put the 2 pullets in with the Blue Roo from Brookhaven's birds and we will see what happens now. I know he mounted them so things should be good.

I might be getting that new BR cockerel today..... YIPPY! I have to finish the single cages too so I have somewhere to put him. Going to be a BALMY 45 today. 50+ tomorrow.... then the bottom falls out again on Monday. I spring ever going to get here????????????

I put eggs in lockdown on Thursday several from the Blue Rock roo and Friday when I came in the hatcher had been turned off somehow...... it was 4 and that room is not heated other than the heat from the incubator and brooders...... sad.... so sad...... about 60 egg died. I left it on and will check them again today but I am not holding out much hope for them.

. . . . .I put eggs in lockdown on Thursday several from the Blue Rock roo and Friday when I came in the hatcher had been turned off somehow . . . .
How awful! :-(
Maybe put tape over the switch?
I did have an egg hatch that had been put with the duds by mistake (a container outside the incubator). The next morning we heard chirping from the container. It survived. (But it was room temperature.)

Quote: Yeah someone suggested that on another thread I think I will do that.... till I have time to work on the other hatcher. The switch is in a different place on that. I have had eggs hatch after being off for a couple of days and a hatcher that was off over night BUT it was not 4 degrees it was in the 40's. I have learned to not just chuck them they are heartier than we give them credit for.... I don't think they are that hearty though. The hatcher said 8.2 c when I turned it on..... about 47 f. we will see.....

I tried Scott's black roo with leakage and still no fertile eggs from the Black Rock Pen. I put the 2 pullets in with the Blue Roo from Brookhaven's birds and we will see what happens now. I know he mounted them so things should be good.

I might be getting that new BR cockerel today..... YIPPY! I have to finish the single cages too so I have somewhere to put him. Going to be a BALMY 45 today. 50+ tomorrow.... then the bottom falls out again on Monday. I spring ever going to get here????????????

I put eggs in lockdown on Thursday several from the Blue Rock roo and Friday when I came in the hatcher had been turned off somehow...... it was 4 and that room is not heated other than the heat from the incubator and brooders...... sad.... so sad...... about 60 egg died. I left it on and will check them again today but I am not holding out much hope for them.
Donna,

Are your cock/erels being exposed to additional light? I've read in many places that the male needs a certain amount of light for the sperm to mature properly. I am currently using 3 males and I have yet to get an infertile egg....lights come on a 4am, off at 830am. My youngest male is use a tad over 7 months

I tried Scott's black roo with leakage and still no fertile eggs from the Black Rock Pen.  I put the 2 pullets in with the Blue Roo from Brookhaven's birds and we will see what happens now.  I know he mounted them so things should be good. 

I might be getting that new BR cockerel today..... YIPPY!  I have to finish the single cages too so I have somewhere to put him.  Going to be a BALMY 45 today.  50+ tomorrow.... then the bottom falls out again on Monday.   I spring ever going to get here????????????

I put eggs in lockdown on Thursday several from the Blue Rock roo and Friday when I came in the hatcher had been turned off somehow...... it was 4 and that room is not heated other than the heat from the incubator and brooders...... sad.... so sad...... about 60 egg died.  I left it on and will check them again today but I am not holding out much hope for them.

Donna,

Are your cock/erels being exposed to additional light?  I've read in many places that the male needs a certain amount of light for the sperm to mature properly.  I am currently using 3 males and I have yet to get an infertile egg....lights come on a 4am, off at 830am.  My youngest male is use a tad over 7 months

they are inside under 14-16 hours of light. I just moved them back out side to learn how to do their job from the SPPR cockerel. I am going to make them a pen pretty soon too. I have 2pens I can empty...maybe 3. one will be for the SPPR and another for the Partridge rocks.

I got him!!!! WOOOHHHHOOOOOO

I made some plans on what was going to be moved and sold over the next few weeks. If all that falls in place I will have 4 breeding pens freed up and I can move my Partridge and SPPR to get them going.

The move of the pullets yesterday didn't stop them from laying. I got 4 eggs from 4 pullets...... let the hatching begin!!!!

Back
Top Bottom