Plymouth Rock thread!

The chickens were out foraging around the poultry yard all day as it was very nice with a temperature high of 62* today. Here are a couple pictures of the Padgett line Silver Penciled Plymouth Rock pullets enjoying the nice weather.
smile.png

IMG_20140201_154258_zpscfb6db21.jpg

IMG_20140201_154039_zps3c9c3dcf.jpg
Very nice!i can't remember the last time it was 62 here.

Here are a few pictures I took today of my Horstman line pair of Silver Penciled Plymouth Rocks. I haven't posted many pictures of my Horstman line pullets lately as they are always in the nest box :). Next month I do plan to start hatching eggs out of my Horstman line breeding pen so I hope they keep laying as well then as they are now. I also plan to add a couple Padgett line pullets into the Horstman line breeding pen later this year to experiment with a cross between the two lines. :)

IMG_20140202_110818_zps33b6378d.jpg

IMG_20140202_110649_zps0f4ae0d4.jpg

IMG_20140202_110022_zps8ebad216.jpg

IMG_20140202_105858_zps2389983f.jpg

Clayton Grace "Silver Rock"

I posted these in the other breeders thread, but thought I'd post here as well.

I do believe I will use this boy as my backup.

Gatsby with a layer pullet that did not make the breeding pen. Gatsby is going to be paired up with two of my best girls once they start laying well and I can free up a breeding pen. I will raise their chicks just for me.

I posted these in the other breeders thread, but thought I'd post here as well. I do believe I will use this boy as my backup. Gatsby with a layer pullet that did not make the breeding pen. Gatsby is going to be paired up with two of my best girls once they start laying well and I can free up a breeding pen. I will raise their chicks just for me.
Hi aoxa Your Silver Penciled Plymouth Rock cockerel looks very nice and in my opinion if the brown leakage is not to severe I would definitely keep him as a backup for the breeding pen. I also have one question, with the very cold temperatures we have had this Winter have you had any problems with comb damage due to frost bite? Clayton Grace "Silver Rock"

Not many White Rocks represented on this thread...that needs to be remedied! Got some pics of WR pullets from Kathyinmo hatched this spring.

This past summer at the local hang out....they have dirty faces from dusting.

And some old hatchery stock WR hens for comparison shots.

Hi aoxa
Your Silver Penciled Plymouth Rock cockerel looks very nice and in my opinion if the brown leakage is not to severe I would definitely keep him as a backup for the breeding pen. I also have one question, with the very cold temperatures we have had this Winter have you had any problems with comb damage due to frost bite?

Clayton Grace "Silver Rock"
Yes in some of them I have trouble, but it is only in the ones staying in the baby barn. There was a huge draft because I left the door open in December when we had some really cold days that were also very high in humidity.. but the ones in the big barn are just fine.

I had three instances of roosters sleeping outside overnight as well. A Barred Rock, a mutt and a naked neck. All have pretty bad frost bite on their combs, but are doing just fine.

I posted these in the other breeders thread, but thought I'd post here as well.

I do believe I will use this boy as my backup.
Aoxa, I cant tell too much from this picture, but compared to a lot of Rocks I see 2 things on him that impress me:

1. Wing carriage almost horizontal, seems to be an issue in this variety but his is very nice
2. From the rear anyway, he seems to have a nice wide skull. Stay focused on those males AND females with those "freak big heads"! This guy appears to have it goin' on

Aoxa, I cant tell too much from this picture, but compared to a lot of Rocks I see 2 things on him that impress me:

1. Wing carriage almost horizontal, seems to be an issue in this variety but his is very nice
2. From the rear anyway, he seems to have a nice wide skull. Stay focused on those males AND females with those "freak big heads"! This guy appears to have it goin' on
Yes that is why I chose this picture to share :) His skull is nice and wide. Both the girls I am using have this feature as well.

I'm lucky the wing carriage seems good in most of them. Their tails need some growing still.

They are by far the biggest boys I have. Really huge!

Back
Top Bottom