Plywood vs OSB?

Quote:
That's the reason I asked the question in the first place, I wondered if the bonding would pose a problem.

It's irrelevant to me now as I've already got the OSB and in the middle of building. Have the outside frame done and floor in, complete with linoleum. I've got two coats of primer on the OSB and next work day will be framing/building walls.

I wanted to prime before building to get that step out of the way, and also allow longer period for chemicals/odor to dissipate. I'll paint after the rest of the construction is finished.

I'll still be building covered run over the whole thing, so while it will get wet in the rain, it won't be pouring down on it like it would without the run.

Quote:
The ones I have are just wire screen for the windows. I am going to be adding Plexiglas covers to stop the wind this winter.

Truthfully I think that OSB can't be anymore dangerous than paint. I doubt any glue fumes or other toxins are leached out. Many people use them in their houses, which probably have less ventilation than chicken coops.

Quote:
The ones I have are just wire screen for the windows. I am going to be adding Plexiglas covers to stop the wind this winter.

Truthfully I think that OSB can't be anymore dangerous than paint. I doubt any glue fumes or other toxins are leached out. Many people use them in their houses, which probably have less ventilation than chicken coops.

Chickens have a higher respiratory rate than humans and their coops are considerably smaller than most homes per "body" which leaves less space for any toxins (or ammonia for that matter) to dissipate--another good reason for lots of ventilation. I have been reading more and more about toxins from carpets, glues and mold in people's homes so the jury isn't out on all these products' safety.
idunno.gif
Paint is also an issue for chickens and I am going to be researching which ones can be used (if any) inside the coop for this very reason.

I admit it--I am a bit obsessive for my pets and it may seem I go overboard but I'm OK with that (and thankfully so is my DH). To be fair, I know lots of people who use OSB and haven't had any real problems but I just don't want to be one who does. However, many folks I've met with chickens tend to get "chicken fever" and build newer, larger coops for more birds and tear down or sell the original ones before they are considered old. In this case the "barn door is closed" but I am always looking for information from folks who have more "hands on" experience than I do and appreciate your discussions.
thumbsup.gif

Quote:

Chickens have a higher respiratory rate than humans and their coops are considerably smaller than most homes per "body" which leaves less space for any toxins (or ammonia for that matter) to dissipate--another good reason for lots of ventilation. I have been reading more and more about toxins from carpets, glues and mold in people's homes so the jury isn't out on all these products' safety.
idunno.gif
Paint is also an issue for chickens and I am going to be researching which ones can be used (if any) inside the coop for this very reason.

I admit it--I am a bit obsessive for my pets and it may seem I go overboard but I'm OK with that (and thankfully so is my DH). To be fair, I know lots of people who use OSB and haven't had any real problems but I just don't want to be one who does. However, many folks I've met with chickens tend to get "chicken fever" and build newer, larger coops for more birds and tear down or sell the original ones before they are considered old. In this case the "barn door is closed" but I am always looking for information from folks who have more "hands on" experience than I do and appreciate your discussions.
thumbsup.gif

I have a very, very sensitive nose and also sensitive to chemicals, etc. I use only the most basic of cleaners in my home, all non-toxic, the same for my personal care products. I can't walk into a tire store and wait for them to mount my tires because the rubber smell irritates me so bad, and even when painting outdoors (like the coop), the smell will bother me until it totally dissipates. If I'm painting inside, every window has to be open and I wear a mask, and it's still bothersome and I wouldn't be able to sleep in that room for several days at a minimum. All that to say that I'm much less tolerant of odors/chemicals than most people.

That's why I'm priming the OSB very well first, before even constructing, and it will sit in the open to air out quite a bit beforehand. I'll probably paint the outside after construction, but that shouldn't affect the chickens anyway. I can't speak for others, but I won't be putting my chickens inside anything, closed up or not, that I can't sit in myself without smelling it.

Back
Top Bottom