poison ivy oils on their feathers?

Apr 9, 2019
Maryland
I know that chickens themselves can’t get poison ivy, but I noticed them a few days ago poking around in the poison ivy down the hill. I let them go because I knew it wouldn’t hurt them.
I handle my chickens a lot, and here I am now scratching vigorously at my arms. I think the oils were on their skin and it spread to me.
I’ll live, but how am I to go about removing the poison ivy oils from their feathers?

Maybe a good dust bath would help absorb some of those oils. I have definitely gotten poison ivy from my dog before, so I understand what you are going through. Also handling less this time of year and washing your hands IMMEDIATELY after handling may help some. Or you could wear gloves and long sleeves when working with the chickens then put them directly in the wash. I'm also wondering (I don't know if this really helps or not) if washing yourself with a dish soap that can cut oils may work better than regular hand soap...

Maybe a good dust bath would help absorb some of those oils. I have definitely gotten poison ivy from my dog before, so I understand what you are going through. Also handling less this time of year and washing your hands IMMEDIATELY after handling may help some. Or you could wear gloves and long sleeves when working with the chickens then put them directly in the wash. I'm also wondering (I don't know if this really helps or not) if washing yourself with a dish soap that can cut oils may work better than regular hand soap...
Thank you!!

My older hens like to forage through the poison ivy too.
I know better than to handle them during the summer, but sometimes I forget. Yup, I caught it from picking them up last month. Wash hands and arms soon and thoroughly. I agree that dust bathing and preening will remove oils. GC

Back
Top Bottom