POL: List of ages my different breeds started laying eggs, and what hatchery they came from :

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by minnehaha, Sep 11, 2014.

1. minnehaha

minnehaha Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 13, 2014
    Spokane, WA
    I have a variety pack of breeds all at or around Point of lay. The reason I started this thread is because when I was waiting for my first eggs, I didn't just want to know when other people's pullets started laying eggs, I also wanted to know what hatcheries they came from. So, I thought I would post. If anyone else took notes of their pullets POL,breed and hatchery or wherever they obtained their pullets from, please post.

I've kept careful record of this info, and I weigh every egg daily. I am sure one day I'll be less obsessed, but that day isn't today.[​IMG]

Excuse me a moment, there are several chickens on the porch looking into the house talking to me.

Ok. I am back, where were we?? Oh yes eggs......

Here are the ages that they started.

Point of lay by breed and hatchery

RED STARS-17 weeks olds (from McMurray hatchery) very round fat darker brown eggs daily

ARAUCANA- 20 weeks old (Dunlap hatchery) I have 5 of these girls, they all lay either blue, green, or olive eggs

SPECKLED SUSSEX-16 weeks old (from McMurray hatchery) a nice brown egg daily

SILVER LACED WYANDOTTE- 21 weeks old (Dunlap Hatchery) Lays daily, egg is light brown

B.B. RED OLD ENGLISH Game Bantam-21 weeks old (McMurray hatchery) Lays 5 pretty pinkish white eggs a week that weigh on average 26 grams, I intend to get more of these girls because the eggs are very tasty!

CREAM LEGBAR- 21 weeks olds ( hatched by a friend and looks more like a brown Leghorn) light blue egg daily
    I have adult Cream legbars whom all started laying at 20-21 weeks as well (from green fire farms) They lay light blue eggs daily. I also have one adult cream LegBar whom lays a fart, witch or fairy egg about twice weekly. She lays no other eggs and is infertile. I have just learned that I should be superstitious and throw these eggs over my house.[​IMG] so bad luck doesn't befall me! [​IMG]

WHITE LEGHORNS- they are 3.5 months old, not laying quite yet, I'll update when they start (Dunlap Hatchery)

CAYUGA DUCKS- 16 weeks old (Dunlap hatchery) I have 3 hens, they all three lay a big egg every single day, I am drowning in duck eggs! The eggs are light gray in color

Last edited: Sep 11, 2014
  2. ShockValue

ShockValue Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 10, 2010
    West Sound, Washington
    Salmon Faverolles. Born March 7. 4 birds. First egg at 157 days. Next 3 hens spread over about 3 more weeks for first eggs.
    Ideal Hatchery.

3. minnehaha

Mar 13, 2014
    Spokane, WA
    22 weeks? You must have been counting down the days! Most of mine were hatched at the same time as yours.[​IMG]

4. ShockValue

ShockValue Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 10, 2010
    West Sound, Washington
    I guess I can be a bit OCD/obsessed too :)

5. minnehaha

Mar 13, 2014
    Spokane, WA
    [​IMG] I understand!

6. minnehaha

Mar 13, 2014
    Spokane, WA
    UPDATE:

White Leghorns from Dunlap hatchery started laying eggs at exactly 16 weeks

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by