Polish and Flock Dynamics

Oh dear! That's not good, we have not had a problem with sky predators, thank God. But we did recently loose a bird to something..... it's neck got ripped out, but the whole hen got left behind (maybe scared off?) it was likely during light hours. It's the first one in almost a year we've lost to a predator. I will definitely consider getting a few more Polish and possibly putting them in a separate area.
I am sorry for your loss! I don't know what may have done that. It is sad that Polish have been bred to not see very well due to the large crest, and Polish have been known to attract hawks to your backyard. A hawk knows which birds are more vulnerable than the rest.

First year flock owner here. I picked up 9 chicks and then about 2 months later I picked up 3 more. Two of them, a silkie and a polish were getting picked on in the brooder box I assume because they were smaller and new. The Amaracuana was getting picked on too but was larger and handled herself. I separated the two from the others.

At 8 weeks the older birds moved into their coop and run. During the day I’d take the other two out to the run, separate them with a dog gate and leave all the birds in the run all day. After a week I let them free range together. The Polish and silkie were bullied a little but my yard is big so they could avoid the other birds. It took about 2 months of this on a fairly consistent basis to get them to come together. Now they are one solid unit.

After doing a lot of reading on here I believe it’s due to them having a lot space in the run, space in the coop, several feeders and watering stations and getting time out to free range in the back yard. As long as they have space, food and water I think most birds will get along with each other. It eliminates things to fight over.

I have a mixed flock. Not a single one is a jerk. Some don’t like to be picked up but never an attack, good with kids and they hang out with my 80 pound Doberman.

My Polish is a goof, super sweet and gets along with all of my other birds. I think if she was raised with my other birds there wouldn’t have been any problems getting along.

Good luck!

My flock:
Rooster - Bantam Blue Sarama/Mix
Hens - Cochin x2, Barred Rock x2, Maran, Australorp, Ancona, Ameraucana, Wyandot, Silkie, Polish
Thank you for sharing! I'm really looking forward to new personalities on the farm! I'm hoping my daughter loves her as much as she hopes to, she's head over heels with our roo. He still lets her hold him
I am sorry for your loss! I don't know what may have done that. It is sad that Polish have been bred to not see very well due to the large crest, and Polish have been known to attract hawks to your backyard. A hawk knows which birds are more vulnerable than the rest.
Thank you. 🤍 It was really hard finding her, about 3/4 of my flock decided to roost on my back porch, I knew something was so wrong. I found her under their chickshaw. 😩 Poor girls were traumatized, it took 2 or 3 days to get them back into it at night. I'll definitely be watching closer knowing that about the Polish!

If he's only eight month sold, he is not a rooster, he is a cockerel. Give your cockerel time to get more hormones and see what happens-he may grow into a rooster who doesn't breed regularly, or he may not.
Okay, that's good to know, I guess I just considered him crowing and coming into maturity that he'd now be a rooster, but it's good to know I made a mistake there.

Okay, that's good to know, I guess I just considered him crowing and coming into maturity that he'd now be a rooster, but it's good to know I made a mistake there.
Yes, many people think that but that's not how chicken terminology works. A chicken is only an adult when they reach one year of age.

Rooster - An adult male chicken that is over one year of age.
Hen - An adult female chicken that is over one year of age.
Cockerel - An immature male chicken that is under one year of age.
Pullet - An immature female chicken that is under one year of age.
Sire - Either a rooster or cockerel, depending on age, who is currently fathering chicks.
Dam - Either a hen or pullet, depending on age, who is currently mothering chicks.
Capon - Either a rooster or cockerel, depending on age, who has been neutered.
Bullstag - An adult (over one year of age) male chicken that is of a gamefowl breed.
Stag - An immature (under one year of age) male chicken that is of a gamefowl breed.

For your information, the term "gamefowl" refers to breeds that have been specifically bred for cockfighting. It is often confused with "gamebird," which refers to a bird hunted for food and sport like the pheasant or quail.

Yes, many people think that but that's not how chicken terminology works. A chicken is only an adult when they reach one year of age.

Rooster - An adult male chicken that is over one year of age.
Hen - An adult female chicken that is over one year of age.
Cockerel - An immature male chicken that is under one year of age.
Pullet - An immature female chicken that is under one year of age.
Sire - Either a rooster or cockerel, depending on age, who is currently fathering chicks.
Dam - Either a hen or pullet, depending on age, who is currently mothering chicks.
Capon - Either a rooster or cockerel, depending on age, who has been neutered.
Bullstag - An adult (over one year of age) male chicken that is of a gamefowl breed.
Stag - An immature (under one year of age) male chicken that is of a gamefowl breed.

For your information, the term "gamefowl" refers to breeds that have been specifically bred for cockfighting. It is often confused with "gamebird," which refers to a bird hunted for food and sport like the pheasant or quail.
Thank you for sharing! I did know most of this before raising my chickens, but in the last year I seem to have forgotten as I've watched them mature. So technically I have 8 hens, 16 pullets and Cockerel.

Back
Top Bottom