Polish being picked on

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by kris41, Sep 10, 2008.

1. kris41

kris41 Out Of The Brooder

Jun 26, 2008
    Maine
    Help!!!

I have a silver male and a white crested black polish female in the coop/pen with my laying hens. I just noticed that the others are picking on the polish. My female has a huge bald spot on her head and my poor little man is missing a bunch of tail feathers which looked like they bled quite a bit. Any idea on how to keep the others from picking on them? I also have a little silkie and a bantam frizzle in the pen and they don't get picked on at all.

Kristie

2. verthandi

verthandi Chillin' With My Peeps

May 18, 2007
    Maine
    If the polish haven't had a hair cut so they can see and avoid the others a little better...that might help.

Sometimes some thing sticky on the tops of their heads will discourage pecking. A little plain vaseline will work, but will make your polishes not look very pretty as it also draws dust and dirt to their crests

My polish are also molting right now, so he is without his any of his tail feathers.

Last edited: Sep 10, 2008
  3. NYREDS

NYREDS Overrun With Chickens

Jan 14, 2008
    It's not a good idea to keep Polish [or other crested breeds] in with other birds-this is why.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by