Polish Can't See

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by lisamayc, Jun 23, 2010.

1. lisamayc

lisamayc Out Of The Brooder

Jan 7, 2010
    I have a young polish that seems very clumsy - (this is my first time with this breed) Is it because he/she can't see because of all its feathers around its eyes?

I mean he/she is constantly loosing his/her balance while on a perch - can't go up the ramp, which my silkeis are now doing. I think he/she litterally falls out the coop instead using the ramp.

[​IMG]

2. chicmom

chicmom Dances with Chickens

Feb 24, 2009
    Strasburg Ohio
    Oh definitely. One of my friends has Polish chickens. They're her favorite breed, and she sometimes trims the feathers if she thinks they are blocking their vision. If you don't plan on showing your Polish, I would trim them just enough so your little polish gal can see.

3. calicokat

calicokat Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 2, 2009
    azalia, indiana
    Yeah, probably can't see around her poof. We have one hen that we have to trim every few weeks so she can see, LOL. The other one is going to the fair, so no trimming for her.

What's funny is, over time, these will be the ones to come when you call. Since they can't see as well, they learn to follow your voice (of course, they may bump into a few obsticles in between your voice and them, LOL)

4. LarryPQ

LarryPQ Easter Hatch!!

Jul 17, 2009
    Time for a new do!

5. lisamayc

Jan 7, 2010
    How much do you trim? Do you just use regular scissors?

6. LarryPQ

LarryPQ Easter Hatch!!

Jul 17, 2009
    Yup. And have fun catching them, because after they can see, the suddlenly get a lot smarter.

7. 2DogsFarm

2DogsFarm Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 10, 2009
    NW Indiana
    My Houdan had the same problem.
    Lovely large crest, but she ran into things & startled easily

I just used a small scissors to trim the feathers that covered her eyes.

sigh.....
    Then along came Winter, hens cooped up (literally) and from boredom the other 4 picked her bald!

On the Bright side she is now my friendliest hen - comes running to me.
    She is my BPFF < BestPoultryFriendForever

8. lisamayc

Jan 7, 2010
    I don't even know where to begin - I can't even see its eyes.

9. MikasGirl

MikasGirl Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 17, 2009
    Coos Bay, OR
    I would start by trimming the edges a little bit... Don't worry when her hair looks really weirdly shaped. My two Polish girls have pretty funny looking hair after they get trimmed. [​IMG]

10. 2DogsFarm

2DogsFarm Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 10, 2009
    NW Indiana
    Hold her in your lap and with one hand hold back the crest so you can see her eyes.
    Then take little snips from the outside in until when you let go of the crest you can still see eyes.

Before Ms Baldy got picked, I also trimmed her crest so it didn't freeze after she dipped it in the waterbowl.
    She had crestsicles [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by