Polish chick dying!!!

ChickenMamaSarah

Songster
Apr 20, 2018
Austin, Texas
I got a Polish chick from a breeder on Saturday. She new she was sick so she just gave her to me. I wa shopeful that I could save her but now I’m not so sure. She seems more lethargic now. She has yellow
Secretions coming from her nose and eyes and a foul smell. Now her breathing is labored too. I’ve been giving her Oxytetracycline in her water since Saturday. Is there anything else I can do? I think she’s about three or four weeks old and she’s in a brooder with two other two week old chicks. They were all together before so I didn’t bother to separate them when I brought them home. Please help! I don’t want her to die!!
The pic on the pumpkin was yesterday and she was looking a lot better then.
F5DA59B8-349D-4496-B8B6-38CBB9D38699.jpeg
CFD33CA0-5560-4B1C-9C69-DA3C82D9D011.jpeg
0044B7AE-0E09-4193-BB14-18A5294A08DE.jpeg

I mam so sorry to tell you that she may have infectious coryza, a chronic respiratory disease. It is never cured, and although she may improve, she may get sick again and again. She and the other chicks she has been with should be considered carriers for life.

Do you have other chickens who could be infected? Sulfa antibiotics such as Sulfadimethoxine, Albon, and SMZ-TMP (bactrim, sulfateim,) from a vet can help to treat symptoms. One of those may be used in combination with oxytetracycline or Tylan. She looks very ill, and if you lose her, you may want to get a necropsy to confirm the diagnosis. It is possible to have more than one disease present.

The person should not have given you this bird, since it could have exposed any other birds to a bad disease. Hre is some reading about coryza:
https://articles.extension.org/pages/68127/infectious-coryza-in-poultry

I mam so sorry to tell you that she may have infectious coryza, a chronic respiratory disease. It is never cured, and although she may improve, she may get sick again and again. She and the other chicks she has been with should be considered carriers for life.

Do you have other chickens who could be infected? Sulfa antibiotics such as Sulfadimethoxine, Albon, and SMZ-TMP (bactrim, sulfateim,) from a vet can help to treat symptoms. One of those may be used in combination with oxytetracycline or Tylan. She looks very ill, and if you lose her, you may want to get a necropsy to confirm the diagnosis. It is possible to have more than one disease present.

The person should not have given you this bird, since it could have exposed any other birds to a bad disease. Hre is some reading about coryza:
https://articles.extension.org/pages/68127/infectious-coryza-in-poultry
x2... so sorry:hit

I realise you got given this chick because it was sick by the breeder but if it has coryza or another respiratory disease then it’s possible the rest of this breeders chickens have it to, given it’s highly contagious.
Maybe you don’t want to be the person that does it but somebody should alert the local animal health and welfare authority and get the breeder checked and if the breeders other chickens have the disease get the breeder shut down.
Harsh? not really if he sells chickens that are carrying the disease because it just spreads.

I figured that’s what it was. I had a chicken in the past that I’m pretty sure had that because she had recurrent respiratory infections with the same symptoms. I had her for several years but lost her this past spring to something unrelated. So, I’m assuming my entire flock has been exposed to it. The sick chick and the other two are inside and separate from the rest of the flock.
I’m at a loss. I don’t want to just give up on them but I don’t want to jeopardize the rest of my flock. What should I do?

Back
Top Bottom