Polish chicks

quails-101

Chirping
Apr 16, 2016
I got 2 polish chickens to replace my 2 that died and it seems that polish chicks are really wimpy because they always die. One of my replacements just died and I don't understand my normal chickens are doing grate its just worrying me that the other replacement is going to die. Why are polish chickens so hard to keep alive?

oldhenlikesdogs

I love September
BYC Staff
Premium Feather Member
6 Years
Jul 16, 2015
Wisconsin
I haven't found that to true, and have raised many polish right next to other breeds. Perhaps you need to find a different source, there could be something wrong with their breeding.

quails-101

Chirping
Apr 16, 2016
Ok. The person who I by them from has some older chicks but they are doing fine I think it may be getting to hot for them it was 94 degrees hear so I unplugged their heat light. So I guess I will get another older replacement.

oldhenlikesdogs

I love September
BYC Staff
Premium Feather Member
6 Years
Jul 16, 2015
Wisconsin
That's certainly possible, I start mine at 85. So if it's warmer than that I wouldn't use heat as they can overheat. Makes it easier to brood them. I also get mine outside on some grass during the first week, especially with those temperatures. Provide shade, food and water and move the pen daily around the yard. I use a piece of fencing formed in a circle that stands on its own.

Good luck with the new ones.

quails-101

Chirping
Apr 16, 2016
Thanks. Mine are in the barn it is shaded by the big willow trees around our house so the bard isn't to hot but I still unplugged the lamp.

Top Bottom