Polish difficult for beginners?

phalenbeck

Songster
11 Years
Aug 14, 2008
Canton, N.C.
I just read 'someplace' that Polish were difficult in some way to raise. Of course it was a blurb and did not say why the breed was difficult. I have 4 Polish and at 4 weeks seem extremely healthy and active. Is there some problems or special needs that polish have? These birds have a strong personality and I would like to keep them healthy. I live in N.C., and the climate is moderate, but at times the mountain can get cool.

No. I had Polish very early in my chicken days and they were no different than the others. I say get some I LOVE mine!!!!

Edited for dang typos.

Last edited:
I can't say enough good things about my Polish girls. I love them. I do know some people don't like them and have issues with them being flighty. They are very mild mannered birds so have them with other mild mannered birds, like Orpingtons. It also helps to trim the feathers around the eyes so they can see and have more confidence. My buff lace Polish is my best layer, even better then my wyandotte and my orpingtons.

Thanks. I kind of assumed that it was a random comment in a feed website. These Polish are showing signs of being real active characters like my sex-linked were. My Silkeys remain very cute, but boring.

I think their flightyness contributes to people saying they aren't good for beginners. Often their crests obstruct their views, so they are startled very easily. This also can contribute to the males being overly aggressive, IMHO.

Quote:
That is a good point about the males. Both my Polish Roosters were aggressive and I had to re home them...the girls are very sweet though.

I have 2 Buff Laced Polish and we've not had any problems with these 2 hens at all. They do get startled easily due to the feathers around their eyes but that's it. The feathers on their head look so funny so we named our girls Phyllis and Diller!
lau.gif

Again thanks folks. So my Polish may be a bit flighty, may startle easily, I can live with that. They spent there first day outside today and were easily excitable, but of course all is new to them. I am actually hoping that they will be strange little birds so they will fit in with the strange dogs and strange people here on the mountain. The next trick is to move them with the Silkeys that do not like the newcomers at all. I will be putting them (old and new chickens) in the same area but seperate till they match size, if needed. ----Again thanks, I really do not want, or need special care chickens.

Back
Top Bottom