Polish egg-laying... how often?

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by JennsPeeps, Jan 1, 2009.

1. JennsPeeps

JennsPeeps Rhymes with 'henn'

Jun 14, 2008
    South Puget Sound
    I'm thinking of adding a polish to my flock in the spring. I only have room for 3 more, so want to choose carefully. I'm planning on 2 production types and one that's more ornamental, but still a decent layer.

How often do your polish lay? #/wk

2. Kanat

Kanat Out Of The Brooder

Oct 9, 2008
    NC
    Hi,
    My Polish hen layed about 3 eggs/wk during the summer months but stopped laying for the winter (zero eggs/winter). I don't have any artificial light for my chicken.

I would think twice before adding Polish hens to any existing flock. They are very submissive breed and the other chicken WILL peck their crests!

I had to separate my hen because the other chicken absolutely HATED her [​IMG]. She now has her own home and another Polish to keep her company [​IMG].

3. verthandi

verthandi Chillin' With My Peeps

May 18, 2007
    Maine
    My polish lay approximately 5 eggs each per week per hen. But it is seasonal, March through October. Then they take the winter off. As Kanat has said I would be hesitant to add a polish to a flock of mixed hens. They tend to get picked on.

But I do love my polish.

4. antiquebuff

antiquebuff Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 27, 2008
    Franklin, NC
    My Polish layed all Summer and stopped in Oct. suddenly they have started laying again. I love them , but like others have said, you cannot mix them very successfully with other birds because they are submissive . I keep 8 hens and 1 roo by themselves and sell eggs for hatching although the eggs are great for eating also!
    Mine lay on an average of every other day and sometimes daily.
    This is a photo of some of mine:
    [​IMG]
    This is my Red Polish below that is the "Pic of the week" this week on this site! He is a beauty....All of mine are beautiful....the one photo above is a little blurred.
    [​IMG][​IMG]

5. jhmoore

jhmoore Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 6, 2008
    Holly, Michigan
    I have 2 polish (one black with white crest and one silver laced) hens in a mixed flock of 7 other hens (Barred Rock, Buff Orp, Golden laced Wyandotte, Easter Egger) and one rooster (black australorp). Mine have not started laying yet, as they are only 18 weeks. However, I can attest to and agree with the comments from the other posters- my black and white polish has been picked on horribly by my rooster first, then followed by some of the larger hens. I just had to remove her to let her heal up and get strong again. Once she was gone, I saw my rooster try to pick on my other silver polish girl. While I love the polish- they have great personalities, are friendly and docile- I wish I would have known about the bullying between breeds before I bought them. I think it's wise to have either all polish or all others. Good luck with whatever you decide.

6. JennsPeeps

JennsPeeps Rhymes with 'henn'

Jun 14, 2008
    South Puget Sound
    Thanks for all the input! Like I said, I want to get 3 chicks and add them to a flock of 3 standards & 1 bantam. I've got it narrowed down to:

1. Welsummer or Australorp
    2. Wyandotte
    3. ??

I'd love a Polish but only if I can incorporate it successfully.

It's so hard to decide!!!

7. ChickieMickie

ChickieMickie New Egg

Oct 18, 2015
    I have a Polish Silkie, Phyllis Diller, and she is my tiniest hen, and yet she it on the top of the Pecking Order! No one picks on her. I love her dearly!!!! But she;s not as affectionate as my other hens. I love my Red Star---she is a very consistent layer, and my Americauna..also a regualr layer! Unformtunately, my Polish Silkie hasn't laid since August...ugh!!!!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by