Polish getting picked on

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by haileesherd, May 24, 2010.

1. haileesherd

haileesherd In the Brooder

Mar 3, 2010
    Hi, we just found my 8 week old Polish pullet with blood on her tail. The other chickens are picking on her. I was wondering what I should do with the cut? What should I put on it?

2. MaureenL128

MaureenL128 Songster

May 24, 2010
    Long Island, NY
    Hi. Our Polish got picked on from day one. They peck at her head and tail. As she got older the others laid off and her feathers have come back. Her hed is still bald in one spot. When she does get bloody we put hydrogen peroxide on a cotton ball to clean her up. At times we have also put a little A&D ointment on her if it looks really bad. It seems to always work. Good luck!

3. haileesherd

haileesherd In the Brooder

Mar 3, 2010
    Ok thanks. We put Furazone on it and antibiotic ointment. Today, however, my other sweet Polish also got picked to blood. We moved all the 9 week old chicks in with the older chicks, except for the two polish, who we put together. But then I found out that the Golden Laced who got picked on first was attacking my other Silver Laced. So now the SL is in her own pen, the GL is in her own pen, and the other chickens are in their pen. Does anyone know why they pick on them like that? Is is because they are Polish and can barely see? Is there anything else I can do?

Last edited: May 25, 2010
  4. TennesseeTruly

TennesseeTruly Songster

Mar 5, 2009
    Church Hill, TN
    Polish chickens are very docile and well....chicken! They'll be bullied by other breeds. We've had to separate our Polish as chicks because they would be in a corner screaming while other calm breeds, like cochins, whomped on them!

Laurie

5. Peppermint

Peppermint Songster

[​IMG] I turn into a protective mama hen if any of my chicks are getting picked on. My polish seems to be doing OK so far, but she's got a very long neck so she can raise her puffy head above the rest!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by