Polish "hair" and sexing. Pics added

Discussion in 'What Breed Or Gender is This?' started by luvmychicknkids, Mar 7, 2009.

1. luvmychicknkids

luvmychicknkids Canning Squirrel

Mar 6, 2008
    Floresville, Texas
    I have two almost 4 week old Polish Bantams. One has the biggest hair you have ever seen....it is like a huge feather duster, perfectly even all the way around her head. The other has a much narrower "pouf" and it seems to extend a bit and hang down in the back. Is this an indication of gender? The one with the narrow hair also seems to have a slightly wider nose area....like where the comb will eventually grow. Neither has any comb to speak of yet, I am not even sure what type comb a Polish has? Since they don't sex bantams I am wondering if we got one boy and one girl.

Last edited: Mar 8, 2009
  2. ThePolishPrincess

ThePolishPrincess Chillin' With My Peeps

Sadly, I've seen males have poofy heads also, so it takes time before you're able to tell for sure. The breed is known for large nostriles (sp) so that's no good.

Boys grow into having dread-locked crest feathers and girls grow into poofy afros. But at 4 weeks, everyone looks pretty much the same. However, at that age the comb/wattles rules still apply, even to that breed. That could help. Males have crests that hang over the back, while girls have hair that poofs up. Pics are going to give a better answer. Though I can't be sure I'm able to help you. [​IMG]

Polish and most crested breeds have a V-comb, which looks alot like the La Fleche's comb, like weird devil horns. As the bird gets older and acquires the comb, it'll start to be hidden by the crest. I can try my best to help with pics, though I give to garuntees. [​IMG]

3. luvmychicknkids

Mar 6, 2008
    Floresville, Texas
    Thanks. [​IMG] Just by that, it sounds like Violet is a girl and isadora is a boy. [​IMG] I will get some pics on in a bit, was just not motivated enough to do it last night. [​IMG]

4. luvmychicknkids

Mar 6, 2008
    Floresville, Texas
    Alright, I took a couple of pics of the little sweeties. It doesn't show as well in the pics as it does in person, unfortunately.

Violet (the one I assume is a girl)
    [​IMG]

Isadora (the one I am afraid is a boy)
    [​IMG]

Both together (Violet left, Isadora right)
    [​IMG]

5. TubbyChicken

TubbyChicken Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 30, 2008
    Kentucky
    I think they could go either way right now...I've had pullets and roos that started out looking like both of yours.

Just watch for those little toothpicks in their crest....or red in their face or wattles. The roos I had got red before I noticed any difference in the shape of their crest.

They are both really cute!!!! I lurv Polish. [​IMG]

6. luvmychicknkids

Mar 6, 2008
    Floresville, Texas
    Oh I wish they would both be girls. I really don't feel like we can keep yet another roo but the look of disappointment on my 9 y/o's face when I said we might have to get rid of one was AWFUL!!! These are our first Polish and they really are just too cute!!! [​IMG] So far there are no little spikes on either one [​IMG] so maybe!!! We have some La Fleche the same age and the one boy I ordered is starting to get really cute little "horns" already and none of the females of that group are so maybe that is a good sign, too. [​IMG]

7. jipjip

jipjip Out Of The Brooder

Feb 24, 2009
    New Zealand
    Hi just checking.... is this a rooster? - I think he is but not crowing yet.
    [​IMG]

8. BirdBoy88

BirdBoy88 Angel Egg

Dec 26, 2007
    Maryland
    LOL

Christy they look like they should be in a girl band!

How cute!!!!!!!!!!!! [​IMG]

now i want polish chicks! LOL

9. luvmychicknkids

Mar 6, 2008
    Floresville, Texas
    ROFL, Mark!!! You are right, they do!!!! It is so funny because they are Abraham's (my 9 y/o) and he used to have a crayon red mohawk, now he has spikes. His hair is dark brown and most of the time he has the tips bleached blond. *sigh* a boy and his chickens.

No, no, no, Mark!!!!! You have to hatch your dad those turkeys, and take care of Abby (and all the chickies, etc)!!!! [​IMG] you are a certified hatchaholic!!!!!

10. luvmychicknkids

Mar 6, 2008
    Floresville, Texas
    Quote:I dunno.....but he is really cute!!!! How old is he???

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by