polish hen - prolapsed vent

greginshasta

Songster
13 Years
Jul 26, 2007
Mount Shasta, CA
On of our Auracana's had a prolapsed vent a while back, and after cleaning/prep-h/shoving it back in 3 times it stuck and she was good.

We have a polish whose vent is prolapsed as well, but we can't seem to resolve it. We've cleaned her up 5-6 times now, and kept her isolated for a week in a dark box, as I believe this we recommended. This morning, we clean her up and the moment she poos it's popped out again.

Suggestions?

Last edited:
How is she doing? Know it has been a couple days, so hoping she is better. If not.........

You might have to clean her up, push it in and hold it for awhile - 10 to 20 minutes. It probably feels like a large poo to her so she pushes it back out.

My Kabo/orpington bantam mutt had a prolapse a few weeks ago. It took a week to go back in. We gave her a few warms baths to relax her muscles, put antibiotic cream and KY on it every day, and kept her in a small dog crate in low light (so she would not create any eggs). I pushed it gently back in once or twice a day. After it went back in, I kept her in the crate for 2 more days just to be sure. She is back with the flock but she has not started laying again yet.

So, hang in there and give her time.

Good luck.

Back
Top Bottom