Polish Hen with black scabs on beak

Beta

In the Brooder
6 Years
Dec 11, 2013
Does anyone know what this is? Eyes look normal and I don't see nasal diacharge. She isn't acting abnormal. DOB is 05/23/16.

Thanks!
Beth

It looks to me like dried bloody scabs from being pecked, but I would consider possible fowl pox if you have mosquitoes out now. The pictures are now very clear for me, so there also could be some sort of parasite, such as ticks or an insect. You might also want to check for mites arond the head. Has the chicken been bullied? Polish chickens are notorious for being pecked or scalped, so separate her in a crate with food and water if necessary. some Neosporin ointment (plain) applied to the scabs would be good if they are peck marks.

What does fowl pox look like? The spots are in her mouth now too

The wet form of fowl pox forms pale yellow patches inside the mouth, airway, and throat. They can be smaller or larger. If you Google "wet fowl pox" and click on images at the top, there are a lot of pictures. Wet pox is more serious and can be painful, making it hard for them to eat and drink. The key is to get them to eat enough to stay healthy until the disease ends in a couple of weeks. Do you see any of the dry form on the skin of any other birds?

Does anyone know what this is? Eyes look normal and I don't see nasal diacharge. She isn't acting abnormal. DOB is 05/23/16.

Thanks!
Beth

Did you ever figure this out? We're new to the chicken world and one of our frizzles has this but noone else.... TY

Did you ever figure this out? We're new to the chicken world and one of our frizzles has this but noone else.... TY
Welcome To BYC

This thread was started in 2016, so very unlikely the Original Poster will see your question.

Can you please post some clear photos of your own bird?
Give us a description of symptoms, concerns, age of bird, what you feed and how she's housed.

Back
Top Bottom