Polish pullet not normal

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by dntd, Nov 17, 2010.

1. dntd

dntd Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 4, 2009
    My polish pullet is not normal at all, even worse since her brothers left.All she does is stand in one spot, you move her and she finds another high spot and stays until you move her or feed her. She doesn't get along real well with the other hens and has always been shy. She will eat but took along time to figure out a worm was edible but downed 1/2 an apple no problem. Could she be a bit slow or just missing her brothers? Right now she's sleeping inside as it's cold and my girls make her sleep alone.

2. welasharon

welasharon Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 28, 2010
    North Florida
    Can she see okay? I had to trim the feathers back from one of mine.
    sharon

3. wildeflowers

wildeflowers I suspect fowl play!

Jun 29, 2010
    Honestly, I think polish are the most stupid of all chickens, which are pretty stupid to begin with. [​IMG] Don't get me wrong, I really like them, and all my hens.

Try trimming the crest back. She may get smarter. [​IMG]

4. dntd

Dec 4, 2009
    It looks like she can atleast from the sides. I never though of her not being able to see, that would explain alot as she has recently in the last few week her head feathers have really filled in.

5. dntd

Dec 4, 2009
    She is a bit smarter then my other girls;) when the dog bothers them( comes too close but he doesn't chase them) the other hens run around crazy, she runs for me. Odd but atleast she thinks I'll save her.

6. welasharon

welasharon Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 28, 2010
    North Florida
    I have three polish and they sometimes miss food...esp if there is not a lot of contrast in color. I would try trimming the feathers in front of her eyes some so maybe she can see better. They really are ding dongs but I love mine....even if all three of them turn out to be roosters....one for sure is.
    sharon

7. Mak

Mak Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 12, 2009
    Londonderry, NH
    Yep, my Polish hen is a ditz, too! She's also definitely bottom of the pecking order in the group so I always make sure I spread treats around a wide area so she gets some. And Milly loves apples, too!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by