Polish won't go into coop

Hi, I am a newbie at raising chicks. 7 of them are 6 weeks old pullets ((2 Rhode Island Reds, 2 Barred Rocks, 2 Pearl White Leghorns and 1 Ameraucana). They all get along like sisters. They arrived in the mail from a hatchery together... Then, I have 3 chicks that are 5 weeks old. (1 Buff Brahma and 2 White Crested Black Polish pullets, which I got at Rural King. The 7 are already in the coop and loving it! My husband built a coop large enough for all of them, putting a chicken wire divider inside the coop to section off an “apartment” for the younger 3, which allows interaction between the two groups without the older girls able to pick on the two Polish chicks. They will also have a separate run at the back of the coop. I don’t worry about the Brahma because she will be big enough to take care of herself, but the two co-dependant Polish chicks “cry out” in panic when I take her out of the pen for a few minutes. We REALLY want to let them ALL to live in the coop together without the barrier but fear there will be problems.
I am now worried that the two Polish chicks (Lenny and Squiggy) will have a hard time adjusting to “coop life” and won’t know what to do or how to find their way around without Elvis their bodyguard/seeing-eye Brahma. How will I get the two Polish chicks, who refuse to be picked up, into the coop at “bedtime”? 😱
I have a mix of breeds, 1 each of Easter egger, buff brahma, dark brahma, buff orpington, polish, Jersey giant, speckled sussex, and black copper maran.

I have not had any issues with our Polish girl living alongside all the others. I'd say try introducing the trio to the main flock the same way you'd intro any other chicks...you'll know if there's going to be a problem.

Back
Top Bottom