Polish??

Discussion in 'General breed discussions & FAQ' started by hilltopflock, Jul 14, 2010.

1. hilltopflock

hilltopflock Hatching

Jul 13, 2010
    I really want to start raising and selling polish chickens which color phase is the most popular or rariest as far as interest of customers in your opinion? I already raise 60 chickens and sell eggs and chicks but no polish and it seems like everyone wants them please help me out with your opinion!!
    Thank you very much!
    Bertie Jones (Hilltopflock)

2. mrslb333

mrslb333 Songster

Jun 15, 2010
    Halifax, Nova Scotia
    I love the blue and the chamois polish. Blue seems harder to come by though [​IMG]

3. Megs

Megs Songster

Aug 19, 2009
    in my area they are all hard to find and popular, but blue is always an easy sell no matter the breed (where i am anyways)

4. White Crested Black is usually pretty popular and, in my opinion, is among the 'easiest' to breed. (Putting quotations marks around the word because breeding isn't really an easy process, and Polish can be frustrating to work with, or so I hear.) Sticking with Laced varieties (Buff, Silver, Golden, etc) can be difficult because fancier colors tend to be harder, lacing can be wrong in future offspring and poorer lacing can be tough to breed out. This is general. All breeding is hard depending upon your goal. Quality breeding has its challenges no matter the breed or variety.

That out of the way, the more popular colors are the Laced or White Crested Black/Blue, mostly because the more popular hatcheries offer them. The rarer, on the other hand, are White (doesn't sound special but I almost never see whites around), Tolbunt (very hard to find!), Chocolate, Khaki, Splash/WC Splash (in my opinion), Cuckoo (any color of cuckoo: black, blue, chocolate, etc), and really, anything frizzled. This is only my opinion, but the choices are yours.

5. hen101

hen101 Chirping

Oct 27, 2012
    Washington,Pa
    they are realy pretty

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by