POLL: Did your roo turn aggressive towards you?

Does hand rearing a roo from a chick play a part in future aggression?

• I handled my roo(s) alot and they've always been nice.

Votes: 1 25.0%
  • I don't handle my roos and they show no aggression.

Votes: 1 25.0%
  • I hand fed my roo as a chick~he attacked me or others!

Votes: 2 50.0%
  • I have never handled my roo~he attacked me or others!

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters
My rooster was pretty wild when we got him. I really don't like him much but the ladies seem to adore him. We barely handled him as a cockrel though because he was just so afraid and wanted NO part of people. If I can catch him he tolerates being held though. He is so sweet with the hens that it breaks my heart to think about killing him but he's just an ugly plain flea market rooster. I have a beautiful Mille Fleur d' Uccle Rooster that's approaching 14wks old and I want to introduce the flock to him when he's an adult instead.

Ugly guy is so nice to the girls and very protective, but too protective. He won't even let me pick them up. If they flap even just once he's running at me puffed up like a Turkey! He will peck your shin if they act like they want down. When my husband goes in to mow their run he will jump up on the mower and try to attack my husband. Thankfully he does not have a spur. LOL (maybe a sign of his poor breeding,lol) He wrangles them up at night and patrols the run until the sun goes down. He will stand by the feeder and wait for them to all eat and then he eats the leftovers (unless it's tomatoes...look out girls he will take you down for a tomato!
lol.png
) But I would like to be able to go in my own chicken run without big giant red chicken watching my every move and ready to attack me at the slightest sqwak.

Cowgirl,
big_smile.png
! Same. Xerox is so, so sweet with the lassies. Same as your red he calls them to the food and waits until they have had their fill. He might have a bit too much mojo, but none of them have lost a feather or complained. But he's so bad that I now take an umbrella with me when I look to the chickens and pop it open on him when he gets that look and comes at me. I think the article mentioned by beekissed sounds really interesting, but I'm not too sure if it applies. Xerox is form one of two batches of chicks. One I incubated and doted on, the other (with Xerox in it) came to me in a cardboard box. That box was filled with 6 tough little 5.5 week old chicks who all turned out to be roos. I tried to 'tame' them, but none of them ever took to humans one bit. I never picked them up because they never wanted me to. But they were friendly enough, and well cared for. I'm wondering if there is any correlation between POL and Xeroxes' changed behavior, because his aggressive behavior started when the hens were around 22 weeks (he was 28.5 weeks) when we falsely expected the hens to begin laying. They started laying yesterday at 27.5 weeks, and he is now a lot meaner.

I agree with the above post... after thinking about it, it makes sense.

I had originally bought these day olds for a mamma sitting on dud eggs.... but for some reason she wouldn't take them. Worlds best mamma, of many adopted clutchs, just wouldn't do it that time.
idunno.gif
My son had a blast raising them in the house.

My roo is very sweet, that's why his name is Honey
smile.png

Once I was out of the house and my silkies were outside. We keep our Silkies inside to keep them warm since we live in a cold climate. So anyways I came home late (they were still outside) and it was really really cold, and they were all huddled in the corner for warmth. I carried them out and my Roo started to peck and bite me. Couldn't blame him, he must've been really cold and he was waiting for me. He's sweet to me--not to the other chicks though hahaha
smile.png

100647_261773_1863749514429_1261714829_31691203_5851798_n.jpg

Back
Top Bottom