Poll: Do you free range or are they in a run?

Are your chickens free range or kept in a run?

• Always in a run

Votes: 12 36.4%
  • Free range

Votes: 3 9.1%
  • It is 50/50

Votes: 12 36.4%
  • Other, please explain

Votes: 6 18.2%

• Total voters
I only free range occasionally. I’ve had bad luck with free ranging. They’ll be fine for a week and by the next week I’ll be missing 3 in one night. I like to keep them in the run (for breeding and keep safe from predators) Mine also like to hide there eggs/be broody in a bush or in the barn some where in a wall so I can’t find them if free ranging. When putting them to bed after a day of free ranging, some of my little bantams will find a new place way up in a tree. If I do let them out it’s one the weekend or when their coop get extremely muddy. Oh, and I’ve got about 35-40 bantams, 10 standard, and one crested duck.

I only free range occasionally. I’ve had bad luck with free ranging. They’ll be fine for a week and by the next week I’ll be missing 3 in one night. I like to keep them in the run (for breeding and keep safe from predators) Mine also like to hide there eggs/be broody in a bush or in the barn some where in a wall so I can’t find them if free ranging. When putting them to bed after a day of free ranging, some of my little bantams will find a new place way up in a tree. If I do let them out it’s one the weekend or when their coop get extremely muddy. Oh, and I’ve got about 35-40 bantams, 10 standard, and one crested duck.
I ran into that same problem. They got too comfortable free ranging and wander WAY off (we have 20 acres which are mostly wooded) so I've had to keep them in which gas dramatically raised my feed cost but it just isn't worth it to let them run off.

I don't free range but my birds have about 1/3 acre that is enclosed with poultry netting powered by a 10,000 volt charger.
IMG_20220602_080615826.jpg

They get locked in their run when the weather changes to something like this.
IMG_20230123_080551724.jpg

I have a secure house and pen my birds stay in. They come out when I'm able to be right there with them. I've never lost a bird to a predator in 15 years.

Edit to add: I've actually never lost a bird to a predator.

Back
Top Bottom