Poll: Do you go on vacation? (In a non-COVID world)

Do you go on vacation? (In a Non-COVID world)

• Total voters
We used to go to the beach a few times a year. I have auto feeders that will last 3 days for the chickens and cats. So i pay my neighbors daughter $10/visit to stop by and make sure everyone is ok and collect eggs. She has to fill up the feeders and waters if they are low. We take our 3 big dogs with us.
Things will get more complicated this year, as we plan on getting some goats and just started a mealworm farm 😍.

Hello Friends!
I'm wondering if you go on vacation and how do you handle the care of your livestock and poultry when you are away. I'm talking about this outside of the pandemic and all that. I have no immediate plans to go anywhere but I'm just trying to think ahead down the road. Thanks for any and all of your input.
Yes to vacations! Coop is set up fort Knox strong with attached run. Door between coop and run always open unless it's below freezing. Chickens let themselves in and out as they please. 12 chickens, but 2 5-gal feeders and 2 large waterers in there at all times. One of each in coop and one of each in run. I also have 2 cats, thank goodness for independent pets! I can take off for 3 day jaunts on the spur of the moment! I usually use sand in my coop for hygienic reasons, but when leaving I break open a hay bale and spread around for excess poop. (My spoiled rotten princesses can not be expected to walk around in their own poop! Lol) anything longer than 3 days and I have to have someone come in and refill waterers. Have a reliable pet sitter, but doesn't cost me an arm and a leg, since it's only once every 3 days. Have to figure out an automatic water system, since that pet sitter and I are going to Scotland on vacation. (When covid is over!)

We have an outdoor cat and 9-15 chickens at a time. We have a 30lb hopper feeder, which is enough to feed to girls for over a week in the weather we have vacationed in (October-December). If there is snow on the ground, that is their water. If it is not freezing, their water dish also seems to last long enough. We do have a family member check on them daily for eggs to discourage egg eating, but it is not absolutely necessary.

I imagine that in summer it might be more difficult without a helper since my girls free range, and it is not safe for them to not be shut up at night with all of the raccoons.

The cat is a bit more on his own for survival, though we do leave food for him. He is a hunter. If we had a dog, he would likely travel with us.

We go away several times a year and now that we're retired we go on some lengthy vacations. I have a fabulous neighbor who would look after my flock (23 hens) just for the opportunity to sit with her grandson amid the chickens and post their pictures on her facebook page. However, I pay her $10 a day and all the eggs her family can eat to refill the feeders and waterers and collect the eggs. I try to make the daily check as easy as possible for her so my pipe feeders hold 7 days' worth of food and I have 1- and 3-gallon waterers.

Yes, and I know each as different. One week one is ornery, the others are not. One time ornery scratched me heavily and complained loudly. The others acted as peacemakers, and Ornery One didn't get axed.

Back
Top Bottom