Poll- how did your flock begin?

How did your flock begin

• Total voters
I purchased "Eggs for Education" from My Pet Chicken about 10 years ago, incubated in a styrofoam still air incubator that I had installed a computer fan into, and hatched out 6 of 8 eggs. I have been borderline obsessed with incubation ever since. I currently run 2 NR360s almost constantly 😆

I live on a small hobby farm with my 3 sisters and their kids and the kids thought chickens would be fun so they got pullets from a ranch we volunteered at and gave them names like Aurora and Malificent they soon discovered they were actually work honeymoon over! I didnt want anything to do with them at first and knew 0%about chickens but I fell in love pretty quickly and now im on my second flock and everybody lived happily ever after the end!

Last edited:
A very dear lady in our church had/ has lots of chickens, which she loves dearly. She adds 50 to 100 to her flock every year. We asked her if she knew where we could get some to start our flock. She told us to come on over and pick out as many as we wanted, so we did. She didn't really know how old any of them were, I don't think, but she did stop me from picking out a couple that were probably quite old. I think we got ten or 15 hens and a lovely big black rooster, who I named Elvis on the spot for his elegant appearance. The name suited him in another way, as he crowed around the clock! Lucky we have no neighbors. Some of these hens turned out to be Easter Eggers, which suited me perfectly. I'd had some years before and always liked them. This was about ten years ago.

This is not an answer to the OP, but... this past April we got 8 new layer chicks. Four Speckled Sussexes, two each Blue Copper Marans and French Black Copper Marans. We also got six Cornish game hens which went in the freezer at 8 weeks. Should have done much earlier, four weeks latest, probably, but they are delicious. My SS have the funniest personalities! I have had some attrition, but now have 25 female and two males.

SS hens are so interactive and entertaining! We will always have at least one.
Mary
That is a good description! One of mine is named Merida after the main character in the animated Disney movie "Brave." Another is "Ruby Tuesday," check out these lyrics to the song of the same name:

Don't question why she needs to be so free
She'll tell you it's the only way to be
She just can't be chained...

Ruby is the ONLY chicken that EVERY DAY ends up in the veg garden and I have to let her out. I can't figure out how she gets in there, the little stinkpot.

Back
Top Bottom