Poll. Shavings or straw in nesting bixes?

Quote:
Well , you and I both have a picky hens . I have 4 deep black milk crates and about 8 red coke crates and the hens all LAY in the black milk crates . weird huh ?

here is a PIC of the crates they prefer :

9529_black_milk_crate.jpg

I say MAKE them happy and they lay .

Last edited:
Quote:
Well , you and I both have a picky hens . I have 4 deep black milk crates and about 8 red coke crates ( holds 20 oz. ) and the hens all LAY in the black milk crates . weird huh ?

here is a PIC of the crates they prefer :

https://www.backyardchickens.com/forum/uploads/9529_black_milk_crate.jpg

I say MAKE them happy and they lay .

Do you use the crate as a nesting box? Sideways or open top?

YES I use them black ones as nesting boxes . Straight up , upright position ..... 1/2 filled with shavings .............

I am fixing to remove the red 20 oz. Coke carriers and use ONLY the black milk crates .

I have 4 or 6 more of the black , or I will put them to good use .

Last edited:
I use both...first a layer of pine shavings about 2-3 inches deep and then straw on top. The girls seem to like fussing aaround with the straw until it is just so....then they lay their egg.

Because they don't sleep in the nesting boxes, I only change the shavings and straw about once a month.

Anne

i use both straw and chips. straw or hay in the boxes and chips on floor sometimes. depends on the area if i clean by sweeping or raking.

Last edited:
Hay, its easier to haul out when someone stomps on an egg. I tried shavings in the nests last winter to find that someone actually took a dust bath in it...yepperie. Fresh soft 1st of the year hay.
big_smile.png

Back
Top Bottom