Poll to help make a hard decision. Please offer your input. Pics

Keep Cletus or send him to the pound?

• Keep

Votes: 23 79.3%
  • No kill shelter

Votes: 2 6.9%
  • Put to sleep as he is destructive and may become a livestock killer.

Votes: 5 17.2%

• Total voters
I do know Cletus. He had a check up just a few months ago and he was given a clean bill. His behaviors are escalating and it also now causing n relationship problems. I mean, really, how many times can you repair the same thing over and over? I think I know what the outcome is going tobe. It would explain why I have been walking around crying for the last 2 hrs. TBG refuses to repair any dog destruction any more starting today. I feel he is perfectly justified in making that decision. He has so much against him for adoption purposes. 1. he is stuck in grieving mode 2. he has destructive behaviors, 3. he really doesn't care for other dogs, 4. his age. 5. he is a hole digger. I really don't mind that. It's not like my yard is landscaped. I must admit some of the wholes are pretty impressive! I have had dogs all of my life and have been able to retrain if bad behaviors crop up. It is not working on him.

Maybe he needs an outlet? Runs, walks, playing frisbee, one on one training, agility... did I mention obedience? Without having time to read all the posts, I would think that your dog really needs an outlet. Locking him up or dumping him at the pound is not the answer. If you cannot be with him for a short period of time, then a crate can be a great thing. But first, tire him out mentally and physically. Give him some structure, something positive to work for. Millions of animals die at shelters annually, often because people expect dogs to keep themselves busy. And that is EXACTLY what they do. Then, dog at shelter, dog put down, owner wonders what happened. It is so sad if you look at CL or petfinder, there are so many dogs, and the vast majority are pits and pit mixes. I think the responsible thing to do would be get advice from a good trainer and do some research. Based on your original post, the chewing seems like a pretty easy fix, especially if you are home most of the time. Good luck, he is a beautiful dog, and I hope you can work through this together. :)

Did his "check up" include comprehensive bloodwork? If not, it can not possibly rule out a medical cause for his behavior. A physical exam alone is going to miss a lot of the medical problems that manifest themselves in behavior problems. Also, if his anxiety is related directly to his dam dying, you will probably need behavioral modification drugs along with intense behavior modification training. There is probably a good chance that he can be worked with and his behavior improved, but you are going to have to work with a certified animal behaviorist to have any chance at it. You have to be willing and able to spend the time and the money to work with an experienced professional on this issue.

Honestly, if you are not willing to put in hundreds of hours of training and a pretty penny for a thorough medical evaluation, professional behavior counseling, and possibly medication to help you overcome the problems it would probably be kinder to euthanize him. I obviously can't know the whole scope of the situation from what little is written here, but from what is written it doesn't sound like Cletus has a great quality of life as is...and sending him to the shelter will likely just make his current behavior problems 100x worse. No one wants to adopt a 115lb dog that is going to destroy their house, regardless of breed or age. Add his breed and his age to his severe behavior problems and you would be sentencing him to a life of utter misery before he died. "No kill" shelters sound great until you stop and realize that there are much worse things that can happen to an unwanted pet than to be euthanized quickly and humanely.

I've got to agree that a shelter would probably just be misery before euthanasia for him. He isnt exactly sporting a resume that most adopters want. He'd be confined and stressed for a few weeks or months before being put down. Doesnt sound fair to me. Since you seem to think there is some emotional distress over the loss of his mom, would you consider having an animal communicator "talk" to him? I know it sounds crazy to some, but I know one who is just amazing. I can give you her info, and even if you think it's nutty, it's $30 and it wont hurt anything.

Cletus is well trained. He sits, he stays, he knows "no", "out", "down ", "go lay down", treat", where's momma", truck, bye-bye to name a few, pick up his collar and leash and he sits down and waits for you to put it on . He will stay in the yard if the gate gets left open. If I need to leave the gate open for a few minutes, I tell him "stay" and walk off, he stays. He is leash broke, he is house broke, he is car broke. He does great on trail with the horses. He has 4.87 acres that he runs around on. Everyday TBG, the kid and I give him attention and play time. The problem is since Sammy died, he wants complete and constant attention. He will literally spend hours walking around the outside of the house whining. If you let him in, then he keeps trying to climb in your lap or sits next to you and whines. Tell him out or go lay down, he stops for about 3 minutes and then he's back at it again. I tried early intervention when Sammy first died. These behaviors have been going on for almost 18 months and he is getting more and more destructive. He has also started to guard food now. When the kid goes out to play he is not allowed anywhere near the dogs food or water bowls. I do not take the decision of his future lightly. But there comes a point when you have to look at the financial cost, the frustration and the quality of life for the dog. I do not have the money to hire trainers, or pay for frequent trips to the vet and medications for the rest of this dogs life. If he suddenly became ill and needed treatment then yes he would get it, but I can't see putting what could be a couple of grand into a dog when I am dipping into my emergency fund to buy propane. I have had dogs that were problem children and with training they were fine. It's is almost like I have a completely different dog than I had 18-19 months ago. At times he makes me a little nervous just because he has changed so much. I feel that I can't read him at times. These behaviors did not just start in the last couple of days. This has been going on for at least a year and a half.

I would keep trying to work it out for a while.
Another option to consider if you find that you just can't keep him any longer is a rescue (not a shelter) that would place him right in a foster home. People are probably right that he wouldn't be adopted from a shelter, and I personally don't like the idea of euthanizing him if there are no health or aggression issues. I foster for Poodle and Pooch Rescue of Florida and the change dogs can go through within days of being placed with a foster is remarkable. Perhaps a change in scenery and people would help snap him out of this issue he has going on so he could be adopted. There are many rescues that specifically take in pit bulls, and most are very particular about who ends up adopting their dogs due to the breed's reputation, so he would go to a very loving home. If you can't solve his destructive behavior, I would search for a pit bull rescue in your state that will take owner surrenders, and if they aren't any just go ahead and contact some other rescues and see if they have space for him. (I've fostered a giant schnauzer for my small-dog oriented rescue, most aren't as specialized as their names suggest and the people running them don't like to turn down dogs in need) It shouldn't be too hard, if he is as friendly as you say and has no major health issues. There are also some rescues that take in elderly dogs. I think at 9 he could get into one of those, even though he doesn't seem to be slowing down at all! Good luck!

If you feel you have done all you can, then I agree that humane euthanasia is the kindest thing for him. No kill shelters could mean years of being locked up and feeling abandoned, and taking him to a kill shelter would be extremely stressful. Although, if you really did want to try an animal communicator, I have heard a lot of good things about them; even if it does sound kind of nutty.
smile.png
I am so sorry you have to go through this.
hugs.gif

I keep my dogs until they leave this earth also, so I can sympathize. I also would give one of them the hand of mercy if they were suffering(have done so) or couldn't be broken of destructive behaviors(have done so) before I would inflict them on an already glutted shelter system.

I voted to put him down as life is too short to have an animal that causes so much stress. You've given him good years, give him a good death and say good-night.
hugs.gif

For me, getting rid of him (he's adorable btw) wouldn't even come close to being an option. Just to clarify, you said he does NOT kill your livestock right? On the poll it saddens me that so many people would choose the "Put to sleep as he is destructive and may become a livestock killer" selection. How would he become a livestock killer (unless he got out and onto someone else's property)? All in all, it comes down to the question- Is he worth keeping for his troubles? I strongly advise you to reassess your setting and try to come up with some reasons that he would be destroying this much, and then find your right solution. My first thoughts are that he's bored, but I don't know anything about your setting and how he is on a daily basis. I do know he's cute though. Good luck and I hope you find the right choice.

ETA: I did not even notice the number of voters for the poll until after I posted. I saw 27% and came to conclusions before I even actually read how many people had voted.

Last edited:
This is my opinion, so I apologize in advance if it offends anyone.

I have a 10 year old pit bull. I cannot imagine giving him up to a shelter or putting him to sleep, not for anything. I did, however, leave him with my folks when I moved, but not for any reason other than my mom needed him more than I do. The only reason Diesel would ever be put down is if it were for health reasons or if he hurt someone, and giving him to a shelter would NEVER, EVER be an option. Seek professional help. PM Jamie Dog Trainer, she is a member here and she is the best person I could think of to help you. Take him to a trainer. SOMETHING... there has to be a reason, a correctable reason, for his behavior. Take him to a vet, have his labwork done, but please don't give up on him. Pits have a bad enough rap as it is, and a pit that does not show aggression towards other animals, especially small prey animals, such a chickens, is an asset to the breed as a whole. There are members on here who would just as soon shoot Cletus as look at him, simply because he is a pit, but obviously in the past 9 years you have done something right, because other than the recent destructive behaviors you have been dealing with, he sounds like a model dog.

Ok, rant over, but seriously, PM Jamie Dog Trainer, and if she can't help you, get ahold of a trainer or ask your vet for help. He is a beautiful boy... I can understand totally where rebuilding things over and over and over would get real old, real fast, but there has to be something that can be done.

ETA: I don't like your third option at all, and for those of you who voted, think about this...
There are tons of conflicts and wars going on across the globe right now, I guess that means the world could end tomorrow. Perhaps we should all quit our jobs, school, etc tonight so we can spend the last remaining hours with our families. Imagine what the world would be like if we lived our lives based on "what if's" or "could be's"

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom