pond depth

davekrista

Songster
9 Years
Jun 9, 2010
Uxbridge, MA
We're getting things ready for our ducks new home, and we're digging our own pond, not using a pre-formed one or a kiddie pool. How deep would be a good depth? My husband thinks 1 foot deep will be good enough, but that doesn't sound deep enough to me. Any thoughts or advice would be great.

Krista

Quote:
Mhmm....They can barely do anything in 1' deep water....our 4500 gallon pond is 3' deep in most areas (4' at the deepest) and the ducks love it!

BTW Wifezilla, thanks again for the Duckweed!

rite now i have a kiddie pool, but are you just digging a hole and filling it up or pting a liner in it? because you can make it as deep as you want but i would say yeah 3' is a good depth and deeper is great! you can make it an incline too so its easy access and exit.

I would say at least 6' deep...... so you can swim with your duckies!!
ya.gif
wee.gif
clap.gif

Either make so you can drain it every week or plan to stock it with fish. Mosquitoes make lousy pets.

will a pond stay cleaner if you have fish in it with no filtration? how can i make a pond like, how do i say it, independent?no filter, just fish and plants and ducks?

Quote:
Make it big enough and deep enough so the fish can hide, otherwise your ducks are just going to eat the fish. Unless you get BIG fish, then back to the needing a good sized pond.
Plants - ducks will just say thanks after chowing down, if you are lucky - so again, going to need enough of them to have it so the ducks won't chow down on everything.

I've had a hard time finding good info on ducks and ponds that aren't filtered and cleaned by external measures.

Quote:
Make it big enough and deep enough so the fish can hide, otherwise your ducks are just going to eat the fish. Unless you get BIG fish, then back to the needing a good sized pond.
Plants - ducks will just say thanks after chowing down, if you are lucky - so again, going to need enough of them to have it so the ducks won't chow down on everything.

I've had a hard time finding good info on ducks and ponds that aren't filtered and cleaned by external measures.

well ok, i probably wont go with the plants, but would this keep it clean http://www.mvwgs.org/filter.htm
and would fish help out too, there is a local guy that sells talapia really cheap and they are 4-6 inches, is that big enough to where the ducks wont eat them, i have 9 ducks, 1 pekin 4 muscovey and 4 wlesh harlequin?

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom