poo in the nest boxes ??

ldrwnorman47

Chirping
9 Years
Jul 6, 2010
I have 5 nice sized nest boxes, the hens poop in them all the time. I cant seem to keep them cleaned out. I built 4 new ones and No Poo. What can I do?

Do they roost in them at night? They will always go for the highest possible spot to roost. If the nest boxes are higher then the roosts they will sleep in them overnight. That could be your poo problem.

I have a roost that runs from the floor to the ceiling. I didnt used to have that tall of one tho. If they are in there at night how can i keep them out? My nest boxes are only 18 inches off the floor

are they laying? If you can block the nest boxes so they cant get in they might get used to sleeping on the roosts. That is, if you can stand picking eggs off the floor.

are they laying? If you can block the nest boxes so they cant get in they might get used to sleeping on the roosts. That is, if you can stand picking eggs off the floor.

oops, double post
hmm.png

Yes they are laying. I think I might try blocking them off for a couple nights..I dont prefer to pick eggs up off the ground I will only block those few off. Thanks for that idea!

I have a new coop with chicks about 12 weeks or so and they are ALL sleeping in the nesting box!.. so poop all over.. Guess I need to work on their perch.. I'm in the middle of tweaking a built coop I got.. thanks for the idea!
smile.png
.. surely don't want grown hens all sleeping in the nesting boxes!
hmm.png

Back
Top Bottom