poo on their rear?

MattMansChickens

Chirping
8 Years
May 25, 2011
Canada
is having a bit of poo on a chick's rear normal? about 5-7 chicks out of 30 have a bit of poo on their rear. the others are just fine, their rear is fluffy and soft. theyre acting normal, eating, scratching in the shavings, drinking, sleeping, pecking at the box andrunning around. theyre everywhere in the box, so i dont think its too hot.

probably "pasty" butt... keep the poo wiped off with a warm wet cloth and use a little olive oil (if you wish.. to keep it from sticking more)

Good Luck

got 3, havent noticed any more. some have just a little tiny poo spot by the vent, is this pasty butt? also, the ones i cleaned werent pasty, just a bit of hard poo stuck to the feathers below the vent. i pulled a couple feathers off ones rear.
sad.png
barnie.gif
he.gif
idunno.gif

Pasty butt is fairly common but usually not affecting all the chicks. I use a warm, wet paper towel to dissolve the poo so I don't pull any fuzz off. It takes awhile, but you can wet it and then let the chick go back into the fold for a few minutes so you don't have to hold it. After 5 minutes, wipe it off. I don't bother taking it off if it isn't anywhere near the vent. The thing you want to avoid is the poo blocking up the vent, so take action when it is looking like that might happen.

Be aware that it isn't always as easy to remove the dry poo as it sounds. My husband, a farmer, would just tear off the poo like an old bandaid. The chicks are fine, but some had shiny pink butts for a little while until the feathers started to grow!

ohya. ok. i used a warm damp cloth i cut from a rag. but if theres only a little spot of poo, what do i do? is that pasty butt?

Back
Top Bottom