Pooch test on goats????

Discussion in 'Other Pets & Livestock' started by mamabird, Jan 8, 2009.

1. mamabird

mamabird Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 14, 2007
    App. Mtn's
    I know WHERE you look for a "pooch test" on a goat, but exactly WHAT are you looking for?? Goatspot had lots of pics, but never really said what you were looking for. Anyone have any info??

2. hollyk

hollyk Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 21, 2008
    Canton, Texas
    Sorry, I don't have any idea what a pooch test is. Wish I could be more help, but at least I can bump your post up!

3. mamabird

Apr 14, 2007
    App. Mtn's
    Thanks HollyK! On goatspot, there are a lot of pics of goat's backsides - and you can supposedly tell if a goat is pregnant by the pooch test...I assume people are looking for some indication in the pics, but don't know what. Am trying to keep this as clean as possible 'cause I don't want to offend anyone, but I'm interested in finding out what people are looking for.

4. Chirpy

Chirpy Balderdash

May 24, 2007
    Colorado
    I'll see if I can explain it right as I'm just learning this myself. If you look at the south end of a north bound doe as she gets closer to her due date her vaginal (hope I can actually say that - if not a mod can fix it) opening will look more swollen. If you take a picture of a doe who isn't pregnant and then take a picture of her through her five month pregnancy you'll see her get "plumper" like back there. It seems to smooth out more also.

Here's a two good comparison pictures:

http://thegoatspot.net/phpbb/viewtopic.php?f=16&t=6281&p=78848&hilit=pooch#p78848

I know there are people here who can explain it much better, hope they see this and jump in.

5. mamabird

Apr 14, 2007
    App. Mtn's
    Southbound of a Northbound....[​IMG] Thanks Chirpy! I thought it was something like that, but wasn't sure. Any other explainations/ideas are appreciated.

6. ronshoney

ronshoney Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 7, 2007
    Algonac, Michigan
    Thanks I have been wondering myself. I think one is as she hasn't gone back into heat but the other one i'm not sure.

7. Chatychick

Chatychick Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 9, 2007
    Blue Mound, Kansas
    I watch for the like smileys on the backend, they start smoothing out as they get further along also...it will elongate as she gets closer. The pooch test is just under the tail as it makes a little pooch and a v shape just under the tail, its hard to ecplain really the hinney hole pooches a bit also. I just badically watch the smileys smooth out and keep dates as to when they were bred and heat cycles.

8. Livinwright Farm

Livinwright Farm Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 7, 2011
    Carroll County
    By using the Tummy Typing test & pooch testing, it has been confirmed that both of my does and our doeling are pregnant. Tummy Typing takes a fair amount of knowing how your females belly(section just in front of the udder) feels when she is not pregnant. If her tummy feels squishy- she isn't pregnant, if it's firm- odds are that she is.
    Others here have already mentioned what pooch testing is and how to do it, so I will not repeat the same info. [​IMG]

9. greenfamilyfarms

greenfamilyfarms Big Pippin'

Feb 27, 2008
    Elizabethtown, NC

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by