Pool for the chickens?

foureyeddragon

In the Brooder
7 Years
May 3, 2012
Michigan
I found an old tin livestock waterer in the garage, its only about 6 inches tall, and I was thinking that it might be a good bird bath for the wild birds...or chickens. Do chickens like bird bathes?

I have a kiddie pool with sand in it for my girls to take dust baths in. I drilled holes in the bottom so water can drain out when needed. My girls love it. I have to put more sand in it a couple of times a year because they kick it all out after awhile.

I have a kiddie pool with sand in it for my girls to take dust baths in. I drilled holes in the bottom so water can drain out when needed. My girls love it. I have to put more sand in it a couple of times a year because they kick it all out after awhile.

I will have to get that a try. I never considered dust bathing for chickens. I guess the little patches of dirt covered in feathers in the run make sense now!

I use limestone dust for the dust bath (of course, I have a big supply of limestone dust, so that makes it easy). Limestone is calcium carbonate, same stuff as tums and rolaids. Sand is silica, the stuff that causes silicosis, so my uneducated guess is that breathing sand dust is bad for their lungs and breathing limestone dust is harmless.

Back
Top Bottom