Poop all over hatching eggs - what to do??

jennifer0224

Songster
8 Years
Mar 25, 2015
Placer County, CA
We have a first time broody who has been sitting on 8 eggs for the last 22 days. Three have hatched. I keep checking on her, and she is still insistent on sitting in her broody box. I just checked on her again and I think she has had one of her massive poops - but it is all over the rest of the eggs, stuck on the shells and just is a huge smelly mess. What should I do? These eggs could still be hatching and may even be in the process of breaking through - couldn't washing them risk that? I'm not sure what to do!

Yes. ^^^

I had poop in one nest too. Because I had two nests and the girls were switching nest quite often, I just cleaned out the dirty nest, wiped the poo off. And laid all eggs in the clean nest. No issues followed. Had a good hatch (9 out of 11).

Wipe them off with a warm, wet paper towel.
Okay, I just did and though i was so careful, I cracked one :( Just a small Crack (maybe it was already close to hatching?). I don't hear anything but I do see a chick in there, moving up and down with each breath. I cleaned out the box, added fresh straw, and just stuck the egg back under her 😕

Okay, I just did and though i was so careful, I cracked one :( Just a small Crack (maybe it was already close to hatching?). I don't hear anything but I do see a chick in there, moving up and down with each breath. I cleaned out the box, added fresh straw, and just stuck the egg back under her 😕
Keep us updated!

I don't think you did it. Just be patient and hope for the best.

As of this momoing, both that egg and another are open but nothing is coming out :( The chicks inside do not appear to be moving or breathing, but the hen is still very much wanting to sit on them and the other two unhatched eggs. I think the three chicks that hatched is all we will get, but I'm just leaving them alone for today.
Keep us updated!

Back
Top Bottom