Poop board construction - questions on how-to and different methods

KarliRae

In the Brooder
7 Years
Jul 9, 2012
Hey all! I know there is a GIGANTIC poopboard thread, but I wanted to make this there more specific to the construction aspect. I am trying to building a poopboard/roost where I can remove the poopboard to clean it while leaving the rest of the structure intact. I want to research different ways of doing this before I start and wondered if anyone could share any experience, know-how, or pictures!

Thanks!

I don't know much about poopboards (looking to put one in too) BUT, i would strongly suggest putting the roosts on hinges. Just attach a hook to the ceiling, hang it up, and it is super easy to clean underneath it!

I installed a poop board in the chicken tractor I built and luv it. My goal with the chicken tractor was to limit my need to go inside. So I designed the poop board to function like a large drawer, which can be removed from the exterior of the tractor (coop), emptied, and slid back into the tractor. The girls never get bothered by my presence, I don't need to go in the coop, and all is well. It works fairly slick. It is about 24 inches wide and almost 6 feet long. Anything longer will be a bit difficult to remove and handle once it is removed. It is lined with linoleum tile, and I use PDZ or similar product in the bottom of the tray so nothing sticks to it.

The only mistake I needed to correct on the original design was that I used half inch by half inch mess to cover the top of the poop board to keep the girls out of it. Come to find out the dropping won't fall through that small of a mesh. I have since replaced it with a vinyl covered chicken wire, which works as intended: keeps the girls out of the tray/poop board & lets the droopings fall through.

HTH!

I used a pc of plywood and cut it to be 30" deep and the entire width of the poop board. My was not removable and I never had a problem with cleaning it.. I scraped it with a putty knife when there was a bad spot. I kept pine shavings on it at all times.. I just used a kitty litter scoop and lifted out the plops! If you really want to be able to remove it --you could place two 'braces'(the same width as your board) parallel to each other , on each wall, leaving enough room to easily slide the board in between them... Think of an oven rack type of set up..

Back
Top Bottom