Poop board width?

Discussion in 'Coop & Run - Design, Construction, & Maintenance' started by JanetR, Jun 14, 2011.

1. JanetR

JanetR Out Of The Brooder

May 12, 2011
    Long Island NY
    I'm still working on the coop, getting lots of great ideas from the forums. Now I'm planning the interior touches. I like the idea of poop boards- anything to make life easier [​IMG]. How wide does the board need to be? And I guess it would be better if it was placed right under the roost instead of on the floor?
    Thanks for your input!

2. bryan99705

bryan99705 Chillin' With My Peeps

Go about 18" wide and the length of the roost pole and set a few inches under the pole. Suggest building a shelf then setting trays, old cookie sheets, or muddy boot trays on top for easy removable cleaning. Another idea is make a shallow tray and set it up like a drawer that rolls out the side of the coop thru a pop door, for easy access (be sure there is a latch to secure it closed)

3. Schwartzfarmnc

Schwartzfarmnc Chillin' With My Peeps

May 28, 2010
    West Jefferson
    We built ours out of a reclaimed piece of counter top, it is 24 wide and 9 feet long, we placed our perch is about 1ft from the board and the laminate top makes for a quick clean up.

[​IMG]

4. TripTrapMtnHomestead

TripTrapMtnHomestead Out Of The Brooder

Jun 7, 2011
    Western NC
    love this idea.

5. minister man

minister man Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 9, 2010
    New Brunswick
    Love the picture of the counter top dropping board. Looks nicer than the one we have in the kitchen! I can't help but ask what you use the underneath pen for? Thanks

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by