Poop boards and nesting boxes

I am going to go draw some plans of the nesting boxes and maybe the poop board but there isn't much to draw about the poop boards so I might just do the nesting boxes

Ok so the roosts are where they are now in the picture and the nesting box that is where I am planing to put the nesting boxes as there isn't going to be that many nesting boxes and the poop board I am thing only about 4 inches down from the roost and about 6 inches out forwards the door there in the pic hope this gives you an idea as to how I am planning to do this

Roada how many chickens do you have? I also have a 4X8 ft coop but I built my nesting boxes on the outside of my coop for two reasons. 1. To save space in my coop and 2. So if someone else is collecting eggs they don't have to go in the coop. My dad uses 5 gallon buckets inside his coop and they work great but his coop is roughly 8X8. Your only limited to you imagination. I'll try to remember to take a few pictures and post them tonight when I get home from work.

Poop boards should be located higher than your nest boxes an preferably the highest spot for roosting through the night.
I have my 2x4 roost 3½ inches from my poop board.

I find the spacing ideal it saves the day when eggs are laid through the night while they are roosting.

I have my roost in cups and can just put them to one side when cleaning the board.

Nest boxes
In my nest boxes I fold a feed bag to fit (nest boxes are 1 ft³). When a bag gets soiled; fold a new one; pop out the soiled; pop in the new. Feed bags are a nylon mesh bag.
Frozen poop just peels off in below freezing temperatures and just flakes off in summer when left out in the sun to bake and dry.

I have 65 trips around the sun it is the best method I have stumbled upon.

Make sure the twine is removed from the open end of the bag it can get tangled around your birds.

Chicken coop is salvaged 4x8 metal shed.

My roost over my poop boards is very similar to this photo (except my roost are resting on the lower 2x4).
I recently friction fit a piece of vinyl flooring over my poop board.it makes clean up even easier; Pop out; Scrap; Hose; Pop in.

Winter months even easier flex over compost bin DONE!

Easy peasy!.

Last edited:
I like your idea as for my roost mine are 2x2s and they curl there feet around them and lay down on top of there legs and then the chest feathers role down and cover up there feet and in stead of the lanolium I might use and old piece of rubber roofing and or the feed bags as mentioned for of the poop board as I was thinking about using sand on the poop board so I can just scoop it out like a cat littler box thanks

I can't really do that as there little door to come into the coop is under the roost and I like the design but I I don't want them under the roost and the poop board I would like them on the opposite side of the roost so there down at the end wall of the coop in the dark under the window and out of the way as the same as hokum coco under out of the but I would like them away form the roost thanks though

No problem I like that one so I have more floor space, personal preference is what it amounts to. I'm getting a new coop later this spring when the snow melts and then It'll be a 10X10 right now they are in a 2<3 ft by 7 + dog run in the garage because the roof was destroyed this past fall it has just enough room for my 6 chickens.

Back
Top Bottom