Poop butt

I have a Brahma and she’s constantly getting poop on her butt feathers. I washed her in warm water in the bathtub to get it off but in three days it’s back on there any advice on how to get it off good and staying off?
If she isn't sick then you could trim her bottom feathers. Sometimes it's just how it is for a chicken not all will have a clean bottom that you desire. Especially if they have diarrhea from illness or the heat. As long as her vent isn't covered and impacted then it sounds normal.

As previously stated, sometimes dirty vents happen and nothing is wrong. Some birds just don't push droppings out as hard and they get dirty vent feathers. It CAN be an issue if you have lots of flies as it can set them up for flystrike which is serious. There are lots of variables to consider. How old is the bird? Do you know when she last laid? Is she going through molt? Does she seem healthy otherwise? Has she ever been wormed or had a fecal done to check for internal parasites? Sometimes birds with reproductive problems will have trouble expelling droppings which can result in dirty vent feathers. Molt can make them feel unwell sometimes and could contribute. Internal parasites can cause runny, messy droppings that stick to feathers. Or it could all be just normal for that bird. Depending on age, and if this is something new for this bird, and if anything else seems off, then maybe look for a cause.

Hi! So your chicken has a poopy butt, huh.

Me and my mom usually just take some small hair cutting scissors and do what we call a butt cut.

Step one: get the scissors and the chicken

Step two: cut off the poop hairs, BUT BE CAREFUL NOT TO CUT THE CHICKEN!!!

If the chicken continues to have this problem, bring her to a veterinarian and have her checked out.

Hello, she is very healthy and lays her eggs every other day. She gets fresh veggies and grass she is also free ranged except at night. She seems very happy and healthy it’s just that her poop sticks to her. I guess I can trim her bottom and if that doesn’t help I’ll take her to our local vet.

Thanks

Hello, she is very healthy and lays her eggs every other day. She gets fresh veggies and grass she is also free ranged except at night. She seems very happy and healthy it’s just that her poop sticks to her. I guess I can trim her bottom and if that doesn’t help I’ll take her to our local vet.

Thanks
I have Light Brahma's and they are susceptible to poopy butt, not a big deal. It is not a sign of any malady nor worms. Poopy butt can happen on any bird really, it's just that Brahma's seem to have more fluff on their rear end and can become a poop catcher.

You can trim the fluff back a little but not too much. If you trim it back too much, the urates in feces will come in contact with skin and it will scald the skin and eventually turn red causing irritation requiring treatment.
I use the garden hose and spray the poop off, it's quick and easy. Then just release the hen and let her go about her business. Done.
It's best to do it mid morning, she'll be dry in the afternoon. Of course dont spray her in cold temps. She can be washed in a plastic container with warm water and pat dried with an old chicken towel and released.

Back
Top Bottom