Poop question... should i worry?

Pensguys

Chirping
Dec 27, 2023
Hi everyone!

In my intro I mentioned we had lost a girl on Christmas Night. We got her 1.5 yrs ago as a chick. She Never laid not 1 egg. We had a rooster who would mate her so we were sure she was a hen... she did all the hen things. Then we had to rehome the roo because he literally wouldn't let me out of the back door without full on attack.

When Alice and the other hens were old enough to lay, we noticed her comb getting huge, her body was changing into more of a rooster shape. After we rehomed the roo, she started crowing and taking over most roo responsibilities minus mating. I read online about how her ovary could have been damaged and that's why she didn't lay. We loved her anyway. She was the funniest girl.

So about a week before Christmas my husband said he noticed she was turning down the treats he would give. I didn't notice anything until Friday when I went to put them in for the night and she had light yellow diahrea on her fluff butt. She's never been one to let us touch her but I had him catch her and we discovered sour crop. She had only been acting a little differently but not lethargic like our other hens who passed (they had sour crop and I tried the vomiting technique but they wouldn't eat at all 😪).

So I worked with her and tried to vomit Alice and gave her the Monistat 3x a day. She had such a hard time breathing after a vomited her that I was scared she would go the way of the previous little girls. I was just trying to get her to hang in until I could get to the vet on Tuesday..... poor girl ended up aspirating because she was so full. I feel horrible at how it went ended.

So getting to my question....I used a poop board because of her diahrea (1st pic Alice (the big part and Cathy roosted together.). In the meantime, a couple of my other girls (I couldn't tell which) had left suspicious poops that were yellow ish. And I saw it on Bea's fluff butt. So Monday night I used a poop board again and the board was fine all with normal poops. Then today I got this.....2nd pic Cathy....3rd pic Louise then Bea)

Do we have a bacterial infection going around? The 3 other girls poop board did not look like this yesterday. It was totally fine. The one thing different was yesterday they had to stay in the run all day due to rain vs the peter days foraging.Thanks for all your help!

Sorry for your loss. It's never an easy thing to deal with.
Please do not try to make chickens vomit - there is a high risk that they will aspirate and die as you've unfortunately discovered. There are other things you can try to empty a crop or to help with the issue that are much safer and quite a few posts and articles here on BYC on how to do it.
Do any of the other girls crops smell sour when you open their beak?
None of your pictures showed up if you attached them.

I tried waterless dog shampoo on a paper towel and succeeded in getting the large pieces of poop off her feathers, but she still has a lot more. Too many feathers involved to cut them, IMO. I will try coconut oil. Thanks.

I tried waterless dog shampoo on a paper towel and succeeded in getting the large pieces of poop off her feathers, but she still has a lot more. Too many feathers involved to cut them, IMO. I will try coconut oil. Thanks.
Sorry, little confused...did you post to the wrong thread?

Back
Top Bottom