Poop Question

BCS

In the Brooder
May 6, 2024
Hi! Yesterday I thought that my chicken was broody. This morning, I picked her up and put her out of the coop with her friends. She acts like she doesn't know where she is. She drank water but wasn't interested in much. I just got home and she was standing still and looked lost. I put down treats but she wasn't interested. I saw her poo and it's yellowish liquid. That doesn't seem good...How can I help? I don't know how old she is. We've had her for years. Thanks!

I have one that acts like that when she's molting, and unfortunately, she molts for about half a year. We'd swear she was drunk as she runs a ways, then plops down and just sits there.

Is there any chance she's going to start molting?

The yellow poo could be a cecal, but also can be indicative of something else. Has she done that same poop consistently or just once? I'd see if she's pooping that same yellow liquidy poop tomorrow. If so, it could be worms or a bacterial infection.

I would also try some probiotics, such as Greek Yogurt, or powders like Hydro Hen in their water.

I have one that acts like that when she's molting, and unfortunately, she molts for about half a year. We'd swear she was drunk as she runs a ways, then plops down and just sits there.

Is there any chance she's going to start molting?

The yellow poo could be a cecal, but also can be indicative of something else. Has she done that same poop consistently or just once? I'd see if she's pooping that same yellow liquidy poop tomorrow. If so, it could be worms or a bacterial infection.

I would also try some probiotics, such as Greek Yogurt, or powders like Hydro Hen in their water.
Thank you! I will see if I can look at her poop tomorrow. I was in the right place at the right time this morning. I've not noticed her molting. Can chickens eat yogurt? I have some vitamins and some worming solution on the way just in case.

Thank you! I will see if I can look at her poop tomorrow. I was in the right place at the right time this morning. I've not noticed her molting. Can chickens eat yogurt? I have some vitamins and some worming solution on the way just in case.
Yes, they can. Sugarfree Greek Yogurt is the best one.

Back
Top Bottom