1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Poop size query?

Discussion in 'Coop & Run - Design, Construction, & Maintenance' started by codybird, Apr 19, 2009.

1. codybird

codybird Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 7, 2009
    Near Myrtle Beach
    I am building a tractor coop with 1/2" hardware cloth under the roost area for security.

Will I be able to sweep or brush the intestinal nuggets through the 1/2" openings to the ground below? I'm a newbie and don't know poop dimensions.

Or would a board on the wire underneath the roost be better for scraping ?

Nugget formulators are Black Sexlinks.

If someone would have told me a month ago that I would one day be asking for the size of chicken crap via the internet.................

2. Barry

Barry Chillin' With My Peeps

As long as you do not have a broody hen, it should mostly all fit through.

3. Ridgerunner

Ridgerunner Chicken Obsessed

Feb 2, 2009
    Northwest Arkansas
    It's funny how many questions and suggestions about chickens revolve around poop.

In answer to your specific question, you will find that the poop will stick to the hardware cloth. You will need to scrape or hose it off. It's not the dimensions so much as the consistency.

A poop board will also work and give you good material for your compost heap. If you scrape, you need a disposal management system. If you move your tractor often, the wire bottom fertilizes the ground directly. It's up to you as to which is better for you.

4. mistylady

mistylady Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 1, 2008
    Ohio near Coshocton
    You're going to have to hose it out. We have chicken wire and the poop sticks to it. Poop sticks to everything!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by