1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Poop slide

Discussion in 'Coop & Run - Design, Construction, & Maintenance' started by havi, Apr 17, 2009.

1. havi

havi [IMG]emojione/assets/png/2665.png?v=2.2.7[/IMG] Si

Mar 23, 2008
    Waco, Texas
    Haha I thought that would get you in here. [​IMG]

Okay, we're about to start building our coop and Ive been reading over this section very carefully! [​IMG] I want to make sure I do everything right the first time. I was thinking about my roost area and what I wanted to do for the poop area underneath. I thought about having the normal roost and then underneath have a 'drawer' that you can pull out from the outside of the coop. When your outside of the coop you can pull the 'drawer' out and scrap off the poop. Then slide it back it. Sorta set it up like the picture below(posted by another BYCer) but have a little slide-out drawer to clean the poop out. And I want all my roost to be the same level so they dont fight for the top roost.

Do you think this would work? What are your thoughts? Wanna share photos of yours?

[​IMG]

2. Anny

Anny Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 24, 2008
    Detroit Michigan
    looks great to me!

3. DarkWolf

DarkWolf Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 11, 2008
    Murray Kentucky
    A drawer is a fine idea. Just make sure that you frame the headers well above the drawer, else the weight of the wall will eventually warp down and pinch the drawer.

The header above the drawer should be made out of two 2x6's with a piece of 3/4" ply in the center... Glue it and screw it up, then hammer it in under top of a pair of jack studs.. You'll never have warping, ever.

Same way windows are framed.

That's not the method I'll be doing, but it's a fine idea.. So long as the framing is good, you'll have no issues.

My plan is to have a "sand box" poop board under the [movable] roosts so that I just have to scoop it now and then and maybe top off the sand from time to time.

Last edited: Apr 17, 2009

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by