Poop stuck on feathers

Discussion in 'Managing Your Flock' started by divagardener, Jan 5, 2015.

1. divagardener

divagardener Out Of The Brooder

Jan 12, 2014
    Hello, All!

One of my chickens constantly has poop stuck on her feathers. Not on the vent...she lays eggs every day. But the poop is constantly sticking to the fluffy feather just under the vent. The other chickens don't have a problem with this. I keep having to catch her (not easy) and pour warm water on it and ease it off with a paper towel.

Is there any thing I can do to keep this from continuing to happen? Thank you in advance.

2. kbrunnergirl

kbrunnergirl Out Of The Brooder

Aug 21, 2013
    One of my super fluffy girls had this happen last winter. Her poop was normal but she just had so many feathers. I eventually had to trim a bit of the feathers around her vent, and this took care of the problem.

1 person likes this.
  3. Monguire

Monguire Chillin' With My Peeps

May 18, 2014
    Manassas, VA
    x2

My wife and I had to tag-team some of our girls just the other day. I was snag & release and the wife was grimace & trim. The girls were less than thrilled with the acute attentions targeted at their backsides, but the outcome is a much cleaner bottom as they waddle to and fro and (more importantly to us) pristine eggs requiring no spot-rubbing or washing of poop.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by