Pooped up 8 week Easter egger

CheeseandCackles

Chirping
Jul 16, 2019
Massachusetts
Hi! I’m still pretty new and try to remain vigilant with my chickens.

Today I noticed on of my 8 week old chicks is pretty poofed up. The others don’t seem cold. Is she sick? Should I isolate her?

47C90493-9900-4861-A234-1FD6697F0315.jpeg

She does look uncomfortable. Pick her up and take a close look at her. Check her vent for signs of diarrhea, check for mites or lice, look at her eyes and nostrils for puffiness and discharge. Listen to her breathing, any raspy or wheezy sounds? Look at her feet and legs for injuries. Feel her crop, and her weight. Look around for loose or bloody droppings. Let us know what you find, or don't find.

She has the body stance of a bird with coccidiosis. And the age is right.
I would begin treating the entire flock with Corid ASAP.
I would direct drench this pullet with 1/4 cc of straight, 9.6% Corid for 3-5 days in a row.
Start all of them on Corid water mixed at a rate of 2 tsp 9.6% Corid to one gallon of water. Put a fresh solution out daily. Make this the only source of drinking water for 7 days.
After 7 days, give them Corid water at a rate of 1 tsp per one gallon water. Again, put out a fresh solution daily and continue for 5-7 days.
Do not offer any vitamin supplements during treatment.
After treatment, you can offer a mash of their chick feed made with water and a little buttermilk. This will help heal the gut. I would offer than for about a week.

She doesn’t have any obvious injuries or mites. Her vent looks clean and fine. Not really eating or drinking right now although she might be stressed because I put her in a small cage in my house and she did do one dropping that’s very tiny and white-ish. I’ll post another picture.

Also her eyes look clear but she does seem sleepy.

She has the body stance of a bird with coccidiosis. And the age is right.
I would begin treating the entire flock with Corid ASAP.
I would direct drench this pullet with 1/4 cc of straight, 9.6% Corid for 3-5 days in a row.
Start all of them on Corid water mixed at a rate of 2 tsp 9.6% Corid to one gallon of water. Put a fresh solution out daily. Make this the only source of drinking water for 7 days.
After 7 days, give them Corid water at a rate of 1 tsp per one gallon water. Again, put out a fresh solution daily and continue for 5-7 days.
Do not offer any vitamin supplements during treatment.
After treatment, you can offer a mash of their chick feed made with water and a little buttermilk. This will help heal the gut. I would offer than for about a week.

Where would I find the medicine?

X2. That looks like a chick with coccidiosis. Treat all chicks at the same time with Corid, and do not delay. Make sure the sick one drinks the Corid, and you can also give her 0.1ml per pound of the undiluted Corid twice a day as a boost.

Back
Top Bottom