Poopin In The Nesting Box!!!!!

bovine0001

In the Brooder
8 Years
Jul 14, 2011
Today, I found this:

And on the inside:

Someone used the sill of the nesting box for a roost and messed it up big time. The small board above the nesting boxes was a poop shield from a previous failure of a roost. I need to take it down. I don't think they roosted on that but rather the sill of the box. (I gave them a bunch of spent grain yesterday and may have lead to some excessive pooping.)

So I did not take a picture of the roost, but they are simple 2x2s on the other side of the coop and they can use them fine.

I can only hope this is a one time thing, but do we see any problem with my nesting box sill? Is the sill destined for roosting? If so, how do I stop it?

Thanks

I added another roost in my coop. I had issues with a younger hen roosting on the nest box edge when she was kicked off the roost by the older hen. There might be an issue with one not liking the other? Even though I had plenty of roost space for some reason she wanted a 3 foot area all to herself
hmm.png
Good luck!

Last edited:
I use a boda box and turn it around.I would put something in/over that area so they can not roost on it.They would do the same by sitting on the milk crates and pooping inside of it.So annoying when I gave them a great roost!

Quote:
My roosts are higher than the sill of the nesting box. Not too much though.

I put insulation on the top of my coop and when the roost was taller, they ate the insulation. When I say ate, I don't mean pecked at. I mean, it was ripped off the ceiling and disapeared. Crazy birds love to EAT insulation!?!?!?!!!

Back
Top Bottom