Pooping in nest

ForFlocksSake

Songster
Jun 2, 2023
North Florida/Panhandle
we got our first egg on Thursday from the flock and a second one today. As far as I can tell it’s the same chicken (only 5 in the flock and she seems to be the only one who was fully ready). Today when I checked the boxes the one she originally laid in looked like someone had pooped while laying on a fake egg (see photo). Then there was an egg in one of the other boxes. We have 4 boxes for 5 chickens so plenty of space. I’ve never really had one poop like this in a box. Is this potentially her trying to lay in here but not being successful? Then she moved to a different box? Is this new layer behavior? I’m trying to keep all 4 boxes as clean as possible for all of them so they feel comfortable.
IMG_2432.jpeg

I don't think she'd poop that much while in the nesting box laying an egg.
Could someone be sleeping in there?
I suppose that’s possible? It would be a first (minus when they were very young and most weren’t even really roosting yet. I guess someone could have rooster on the edge of the box.

Hopefully it’s not a habit but what do I do if I keep finding it like this? Why would one suddenly start sleeping in there?

Yep, somebody definitely is spending a lot of time in there. Looks like one of them may be spending more time in there to get away from the others…. it could be a safety and comfort issue for her.

I suppose that’s possible? It would be a first (minus when they were very young and most weren’t even really roosting yet. I guess someone could have rooster on the edge of the box.
Check at night to make sure they are not roosting/sleeping in/on the nests.
I check nests every night just after dark when locking up to collect eggs and make sure no broodies in the nests.

Hopefully it’s not a habit but what do I do if I keep finding it like this? Why would one suddenly start sleeping in there?
I have a hinged cover that I can close an hour before roosting time, then I uncover after dark when locking up.

When they first come into lay hormones are running high so there may be some 'disagreements' in pecking order and roosting spots.

Check at night to make sure they are not roosting/sleeping in/on the nests.
I check nests every night just after dark when locking up to collect eggs and make sure no broodies in the nests.

I have a hinged cover that I can close an hour before roosting time, then I uncover after dark when locking up.

When they first come into lay hormones are running high so there may be some 'disagreements' in pecking order and roosting spots.
Thanks. I actually watched them last night on our camera and noticed the one who came into lay bullying another pullet a little. She was blocking the door to the coop then chasing her out. Went on for a few minutes before they both went in for the night. I’ll take a peek in there tonight after dark.

I have one hen who goes broody and I know when it happens because she'll park her butt in the nestbox and want to spend the night there. Nope, oh, no you don't! I have boards that I put in front of the nests for when this happens. I cover them at lock up, and open them when I let everyone out in the morning.
I don’t think they go broody this young do they? They’re all about 20 weeks now.

I don’t think they go broody this young do they? They’re all about 20 weeks now.
Not likely that they are broody, no. They may have found that nobody bothers them at night if they're in the nest.

The only time I let a hen sleep in the nest box is if they are having a BAD molt and are covered with pin feathers. I know they don't want to be touched -- it's painful! -- so I let them sleep in the nest so they can rest.

Back
Top Bottom